Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking at an Eggfest

highpress
highpress Posts: 694
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys,
I was wondering how many of you actually cooked at an eggfest? I'm thinking about cooking at one of our local eggfest this summer. Well, ok, here's the plan. I want a second egg, (small) so i thought what better way than to get a demo egg that I cooked on at a fest? So i got the ok from mama (one condition - must sell one of my old grills. No problem. Bye bye cheap metal offset barrel smoker that i haven't used in 2 years)

However, i'm a little perplexed why cooks still pay admission? Not trying to bash or complain, i just thought geeze, i have to buy the food, buy the plates, buy the silverware, buy the napkins, you would figure i would get in free? :ermm: Just struck me as odd as i guess. Is this normal for most fests?..
I've only been to one...

Anyways, i'm excited about the prospect of cooking at an eggfest. I'm thinking i definately want to go and make the following:

ABT's (i know, everyone makes these but..)
Pork Roulade
Chicken Wings
Fatty
Pulled Pork

I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but i think the following menu would be doable for i dunno... $50 or so if you caught some stuff on sale? So here's the very long drawn out quesiton. How would you cook the pulled pork if you only have 8 hour or so? Could i cook half way at home then finish up at the fest? Would you recommend cooking any other dishes?

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Jimmy,

My little experience is that cooks will get free admission as well as goody bags and a meet n greet gathering the night before. Fests will vary though, as some organizers haven't a clue to what the 'norm' is. If a 'norm' exists.

Cook whatever your comfortable with and if pulled pork is the one, I would make it at home and bring it in a cooler ready to pull. You can do a number of things with it at the fest. ie. Cajon sammys, pp pizza, pp sammys, even little sample cups would work.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    At some fests the cooks pay, and at others they get free admission. That's just the way the cookie crumbles.

As for your menu, you're over-doing it. I would do 2-3 items max. Space it out and plan to spend some time mingling and enjoying the others' items as well.

Pass on the pulled pork in my opinion. Pre-prep your ABTs and roulade the day before and you'll be in good shape.
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Fidel, thanks for this post. I just attended my first fest and specifically did not cook so as to get a feel first. Your 2-3 cook limit makes a lot of sense. There is no reason to get "stuck in the kitchen" unless that is what you really want to do. One of the smartest teams I saw on Saturday put out monkey bread in the morning and smoked their ribs until afternoon. They served and ate great all day.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    I don't know why some fests make cooks pay either, maybe to cover some City fees. But we are doing this at our own expense and selling eggs.

Mike
  • Fidel
    It's a lesson learned the hard way. I've done fests where I've cooked all day long .... sometimes with 2 eggs going.

I much prefer a slower pace and time to mingle with friends and make fun of people like Sparky and Little Steven. I think Steve has it figured out. He brings the food and lets other people cook it.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Ah yes, but I always take 100% of the credit if it is good. B)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fidel
    Like I said...you have it all figured out.

You Canadians are a wily bunch.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    As it should be. :)

Mike
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    After going to 3 fests I agree with the above recommendations, simplify your menu a little bit. Reserve some time to wander the fest and see what the other eggheads are cooking. Most fests the eggs are typically are lit at 8 to 9am, and you serve from approximately 10am to 2pm, so Brisket and Pulled Pork aren't very well suited menu items to cook during a fest.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Our 8th eggfest in Peoria, IL was a couple days ago. There is no charge to cook, nor to attend and eat only! As a cooker we are furnished an egg along with the lump and in turn cook and donate our food to spread the BGE gospel! In return our dealer gives us our choice of a 20# bag of Royal Oak or Wicked Good. It works fine here plus they sell those eggs at a 10% discount.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • highpress
    I didn't even think about over cooking... Perhaps you guys are right. I would like to be able to relax and walk around and try every one elses' food. We went last year and i had a great time. Allthough i do like the idea of just doing pulled pork early, wrapping and pulling later at the fest. We'll see. i'm sure i'll fill you guys in if we end up going!
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Grand Oeuf Vert Posts: 1,631
    They don't charge for Cooks. They are even providing some Meats this year. You'll have a blast...Although, getting that demo on the plane might be a bit of a challenge...
  • popagar0
    popagar0 Posts: 136
    jimmy i ment you and your wife last year at hatfield. would you be cookin there? the pic s you posted of your meals look great.good luck at the fest you cook at. :woohoo:
  • highpress
    Yep, that'd be the one we are thinking about cooking at. There are a couple of fests closer to us (annapolis and waldorf) but we missed those already plus i really liked the people at Hatfield.... Were you cooking there last year or just attending? If we go maybe we'll seeya up there again? B)