Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Problem cooking ribs on two eggs

BrahmabullBrahmabull Posts: 50
edited 5:30AM in EggHead Forum
Today, my neighbor cooked ribs on my egg and his egg. Same setup and temp and time. The ribs on his egg turned out great, but the ones he cooked on my egg were over done to a crisp. What could be the problem and how do I fix?
·

Comments

• Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Calibrate the gauges. They may be off.

Mike
    ·
  • BrahmabullBrahmabull Posts: 50
    How do I calibrate my gauge?
    ·
    Boiling water, they should read 212. Then there is a nut on the back to adjust if off.

Mike
    ·
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Brahmabull, What Mike said. Tim :ermm:

000_1679.jpg
    ·
  • JeffersonianJeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    You take it out of the Egg, carefully dunk it in boiling water, adjust the nut on back so the gauge reads 212*. Re-dunk and readjust until it consistently lands on 212*.

Then drop the BGE unit into the trash and get a Tel-Tru :woohoo:
    ·
    LOL that is just not right.

Mike
    ·
    Thanks guys. I fixed it. Hate that his ribs burned up.
    ·
    :woohoo: :lol: :lol: Been there done that! :whistle: Tim

If you notice the BGE on the right is stuck! :ohmy:

000_1859.jpg
    ·
    It's sigh-un-tiffick!!
    ·
    I gotta say, seeing those fresh thermos makes me want to replace my water-logged unit. It still pretty accurate, but it just looks yucky.
    ·
  • Mike in AbitaMike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    How far was it off?
    ·
    Almost 100 degrees
    ·
    It was off alright! :pinch:
    ·
  • PetuniaPetunia Posts: 110
    In case anyone is a little slow like I was, you hold the nut with a wrench and turn the face to adjust the temp. I kept trying to turn the nut until my dealer set me straight.
    ·
    Petunia, :laugh: I had to chuckle after reading your response. Tim :lol:
    ·
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    I'm also curious to know how far off it was at room temp? Needless to say if you walk up to a cold cooker and it says 170, that's a clue, :woohoo:
    The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • ChargerGuyChargerGuy Posts: 357
    My first EGG Thermometer was about 70 degrees off and after I calibrated it using the nut on the back it sat at 140 at room temp! BGE said it was ok to use it that way but they sent me a new one anyway. I just couldn't trust a Thermometer that was that far off.
    ·
    It showed 0. That is why I didn't realize it was off.
    ·
  • Jersey DougJersey Doug Posts: 460
    If you have two Eggs fired up you can wait for the temps to stabilize and then swap the thermometers and see what they read. It's easy to do if you have the clips off like I do. I like to store the thermometers in a dry place when I'm not cooking and I like to rotate them so the target temperature is straight up and down. Both tricks are a lot easier without the clips.
    ·