Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kitchen done,... well almost

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
arial.jpg
<p />Wessb and I must have been making our kitchens at about the same time. I think that I can completely empathize with the magnitude of his project; mine was a bunch more to bite off than I was expecting.[p]It still needs shingles and paint, but it has been fully functional since Memorial day. In fact, with the exception of one particularly cold week we have not used the indoor kitchen all summer.[p]TNW, does this qualify as an Egg table?

Comments

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    pivotizer,[p]i need to remember to hit tab not enter. nice brick work.[p]Scott

• Jawjajoe
    Jawjajoe Posts: 51
    pivotizer,
    WOW, very professional looking.[p]Joe

• pivotizer,
    After remodeling my kitchen this spring i must say that i can relate! Looks like you did an awesome job! Im sure that you'll enjoy years of great times in your kitchen!
    Heres to ya!
    Craig

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    pivotizer,
    I feel your pain brother...LOL...it looks fabulous, I definately like, and respect, the stone work...I can imagine the time that went into it so far...keep us updated and keep on enjoying...no comment on the stainless steel storage bin in the center..LOL[p]Wess

• WessB,[p]It sure does hold a bunch of tools - the other unforseen benefit is that I can light my propane torch with it when I can't find the lighter. Grin.[p]I would have put the egg in the middle, but the prevailing wind is left to right, so I put it on the far right.[p]Hope you're enjoying your rig as much as we are enjoying ours.

• pivotizer,
    No, it qualifies as a freakin' miracle!!! WOW OH WOW! Come to my place, do the same thing and I'll make you some pulled pork! LOL![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • WessB,
    You need to post your photo again so we can have a side by side! LOL!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,[p]Hey, that's not fair, he has three eggs!
  • Coleslaw
    Coleslaw Posts: 46
    pivotizer,
    Don't let my wife see it any time soon! I have more than I can handle. If the value of your house doesn't increase dramatically, get a better realtor!

• pivotizer,[p]Very nice, indeed. Come out here and build me one, ok? It's only 112 right now, but I do have a pool! And beer![p]LVM

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    pivotizer,[p]Good Gosh.... Envy is running wild in my soul :~)
  • pivotizer, Great looking grill island. What type of gas grill did you buy?

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    pivotizer,
    Now that you've teased us with one photo, please post some more. Lots of good ideas there. I'm impressed.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Jerry,[p]Thanks, as much as I love to have the island, I wouldn't want to do it again (who knows, we do have earthquakes here).
    Ping me with your email and I'll tell you about the gasser, that way we can keep the thread egg specific.[p]

• OutdoorKitchen3.jpg
    <p />Spring Chicken,[p]Some of the ideas were better than others.[p]I'll see of the front side stitch works. Wessb must have had the same problem getting a picture of the working end - both islands are squished up against the house.[p]The built in vac port can be seen next to the egg - I don't use the ash tool unless the ashes are hot, I just vacuum it out.[p]
  • egg.jpg
    <p />Spring Chicken,[p]this is the more interesting end, at least to me.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    pivotizer,
    You did Good. Real Good.[p]Spring Chicken

• pivotizer,[p]One word: Incredible.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    pivotizer,
    Dang. Seen a whole bunch of pictures over the past 5 or so years on the forum. I think we have a winner. That's a beaut, Sir Pivot.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • pivotizer,[p]Wow! That is most impressive. Congratulations on a fine outdoor kitchen.[p]Greg
  • pivotizer, it's absolutely perfectamundo man! I posted a while back about one along the same line as yours that showed up in our local newspapers garden section. Everything was built into brick or rock like you have, oven, fridge, sink, etc. But, I could just picture little cove like areas in the thing to slide in the Eggs...well one of these ole days maybe...anyway I could never come up with something as good as what you got there.

• pivotizer,
    I don't know that I would use the indoor kitchen either...unless it looked as good as this. Wow. That is amazing. Great job.

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    pivotizer,[p]First of all, congrats. It is absolutely gorgeous. I know there ARE people in the world who can build such things. I have just never been one or been married to one. I want a honey-do...I want a honey-do. There, got that off my...umm..whatever. [p]Have a question on your refrigerator (I'm assuming that is what the stainless box is on the left side). Don't know where you live, but how does it stand up to summer heat? I've gone through a fridge in the garage in one year. Had a small wine-cooler type out in my gazebo and that didn't last the year before melting the rubber seals and blowing out everything on the same electrical circuit. Another theory shot to hell there. I've love something just to store cold drinks in, but we get pretty toasty here (Tejas). Thoughts?[p]mShark
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    pivotizer,[p]I am really impressed that is along the lines of what I've been hoping to do some day.[p]I also love the back ground view behind the kitchen, would you mind sharing with us what area of the country you are in?[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro (the envious)

• MollyShark,[p]I worried about the longevity of an outdoor fridge also. The outdoor models go for about $900 and that seems a bit pricy. This is a $110 Costco model. I figured that I can replace it 7 times before I kick myself for not buying the outdoor model.[p]Northern California has mid-ninety degree days and cools off at night. Not all that hot, but Zeke (somehow the fridge got a name and it stuck) has been doing a great job so far. Turn the fridge to one notch under full and everything will freeze. My only suggestion is to keep anything with rubber or plastic out of direct sunlight.[p]I would imagine that Texas poses a little greater challenge to a refrigerator than NorCal, but one year sounds severely low - my uncle in Phoenix had an inexpensive outdoor fridge and it lasted as long as my memory serves. Those folks in AZ have some pretty warm days too.

• bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    pivotizer,
    What is in all the doors and drawers? THe built in vacuum is genius![p]Tell us about the apparent grid extender just to the left of the egg and BBQ brush.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    pivotizer, my college fridge, 1982, has been sitting outside for the last ten years under no shade whatsoever.it gets rained on,and dissapears in the fog on occasion. i unplug it in the winter months and it sits under a snow bank. the handle is gone. the hinges sag so much that i have to lift the door onto a brick to shut it. it has served me well. i think i payed 50 dollars for it

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • UpDeck.jpg
    <p />Jethro,[p]I see you're from Skokie - I spent 6 years in Western Springs/Hinsdale. I love the Chicago area, but it did warp my opinion of pizza – it took me another 6 years to discover a worthy substitute in the Bay Area.[p]I live in Walnut Creek California – it is in the eastern hills of the San Francisco bay area. The weather and terrain are more like Napa than SF – both are only a half hour away.[p]About a decade ago I decided that I was going to pick where I wanted to live and then find a job instead of letting my career dictate where I lived. You just gotta love a country that gives everyone the option to make crazy decisions like that.[p]I took this last night – the redwoods grow here like weeds, but so does everything else. We have lemon, orange, lime, cherry, apple, palm, oak, avocado and grape but blueberries don’t like it here. [p]We also have precious few bbq joints and none that I know of that do pulled pork – lucky for me I discovered the Egg.

• Hat.jpg
    <p />bigmikej,[p]Mostly storage. The triple drawers hold the regular egg stuff. The drawer on the right was meant to hold a propane tank, but my wife suggested using it for trash (great idea).[p]The double door in the middle adds more storage and holds the propane tank and a spare.[p]Some of the space in the left hand door is taken up by the hot water heater (I had no idea that Home Depot sold a 4 gallon water heater). My wife also insisted on having a real sink and not a bar sink (again brilliant on her part – made it a bunch easier to fill the giant pot we used for the mud-bug boil we had in July).[p]My wife bought me a welder a few years ago as a Xmas gift. Gone are the days of fidgeting with nuts and bolts to make brackets and things (it really is easy, every house should have one). I made the grill extender to act like an upper ledge for the second grill. I has been working so well that I have never had the need to try attaching the legs directly to a grill; I can’t see that there would be a material difference the two methods.[p]This rain hat works better than I imagined and only took a couple of hours to hack together.[p]
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    pivotizer,[p]It is beautiful, we were fortunate enought to get out there for a week around Easter. We enjoyed it quite a bit.[p]Again great job - blueberries came in good this year. Though we didn't have much luck with the citrus :-).[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro