Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cup Cakes

Options
Frank the Tank
Frank the Tank Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My oven went out this weekend and my preggo wife wanted cup cakes. Needless to say she gets whatever she wants, so I fired up the egg with the guru set to 350, went inside while I let her make 3 batches of cup cakes on the egg. She doesn't know jack about grilling, so it was nice to have to guru do all the grunt work for freaking cup cakes. BTW, they turned out great. They were foil wrapped, so no smoke was involved. [p]I'm thinking about doing a charcoal rumcake....

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Way to go Frank!
    If you want to get rid of the foil, you might give a shot at working a bit hotter with a smaller load of charcoal, and get a good clean fire burning. Very little smoke, and the smoke is extremely mild at those temps once every piece of charcoal is burning clean. It seems to help a lot when you get a 500 fire going first, then step it down to 400.[p]Just thinkin here. Take care of that preggo lady o' yours!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    bread%20on%20gregg.JPG
    <p />Frank the Tank,[p]Chris is right on - if you get a clean fire burning, you really won't have a smoke problem. This pumpkin bread had no smoke taste at all.[p]TRex
    [ul][li]Smokeless Baking[/ul]
  • markthewood
    Options
    Frank the Tank,[p]Sorry to hear that your oven went out, and I'm glad that the cupcakes turned out well. On the other hand, that's what indoor cooking is all about. I LOVE my egg, but baking on the egg is (under normal circumstances) stupid in my humble opinion. That's about like cooking a brisket in the oven![p]Now if you are camping and that is the only source for heat, again I'm all for it. But if you are baking on the egg just to say that you did it, I say big freakin' deal. Who cares? Again that's why I paid for double ovens in the kitchen.[p]Pizza is an exception, but get your oven fixed so you don't have to waste time and money trying to perfect something that the BGE was never intended to do.[p]Good luck with the forthcoming baby
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    MarktheWood,
    Wow you actually posted this twice. I guess you've never done any bread baking in the egg?[p]Big Green egg, Kamado, Ancient Japanese oven.[p]