Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Followup to "Buying a Large Egg" Below

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Question Raised below was purchasing a large egg and costs.
Are there "deals" made on eggs or is everyone paying list price for them? I want to get one, and am willing to pay the going rate, but don't want to be taken advantage of. I called the 3 closest dealers (PA) and all gave me the same price (list I think). Has anyone bought one for less than list ($589 for just the large egg)?[p]- Newbe2 (not a negotiator, aka pigeon)

Comments

• AbqEgg'r
    AbqEgg'r Posts: 91
    Options
    Newbe2,
    I think I payed more for my BGE than anybody, with maybe the exception of Alaska. I paid $622 including the dual action top. By the time I got out of the store with a couple of bags of lump and all of the "needed" accessories I was at almost $750.[p]The problem is what else are you going to do? There is only one BGE dealer in town. You will be able to find a cheaper price, list is $499, but when you add on the shipping charges for 140lb large egg you can probably buy it cheaper at your local dealer.[p]Just my thoughts..I'm sure other Eggr's will have had different egg-speriences.[p]Tim

• Billy
    Billy Posts: 68
    Options
    Newbe2,
    I just paid $499 for a large egg with auto lock bands, thermometer, and stainless vent door. Billy

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Newbe2,[p]I don't even recall what I paid but why not just call BGE in Atlanta a talk to them? A nicer group of people will be hard to find. They can tell you what they can send you one for or where to get one. How close are you to Wash DC?[p]Phone:Toll Free 1(800) 939-EGGS (3447)[p]
    Tim[p]Tim

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Newbe2,[p] IMHO, I would think BGW would want you to shop and negotiate with the dealers. If there is no dealer within a reasonable distance then they deal with you direct. This is just from my past experiences as well as posts from others.
    I paid (and happy I did) $529.00 for my BGE including the roller stand (which I gave away) thermometer, cookbook and daisy wheel. That was 3 years ago and prices have gone up, methinks.
    Good luck..its not the price, it's the fun and enjoyment you will have. Look at the price of most metals and this is lifetime.
    Cheers...C~W (Char-Woody)[p]

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Newbe2,[p]I don't know what part of PA your from, but a new dealer in Vineland, NJ (1.25 hrs from Philadelphia) has the large Egg, nest, combo top, ash tool, and grill gripper for $550. The only thing you'll need is the temperature gauge.[p]Give me an email if interested.[p]Spin

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Newbe2,
    FYI
    William Sanoma (the big kitchen accessory outfit) is offering the large Egg and it looks like only the nest for $699. Plus you gotta pay for shipping. I kind of like having a relationship with my local dealer and keeping him in business. I sort of like to see it in the flesh as they say and I also like to have someone to run interference for me should the need arise.
    By the way, my local dealer is VERY kind to me on accessories since I've brought him nearly a dozen sales in the last few months.
    After years as a sales representative I appreciate your position. Any dealer of any product that gets shopped via the phone will do one of two things; he'll throw you a low ball or give you list. I think giving list on the phone is the most consumer-centric approach.
    One of the other Eggers said it, look at the cost of a dinner out...consider the fun

• Unknown
    Options
    Newbe2,[p]After you have it, you'll know that it was one worthwhile investment at any of the prices discussed here. I remember grimacing at the price when I bought mine last year but now wonder what the fuss was about I use it so much. Even my wife who was a little POed at the time now sees that the newness won't ever wear off this toy. Good luck.

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Newbe2,[p]I have found dealers occasionally have a "scratch & dent" sale, even though very little in that way actually happens to a BGE. Some are not quite a uniform shade of green, others have been used by a caterer or for a demo at the shop and can be had less expensively. But usually not much cheaper, like maybe $50-$75...[p]Bob

• Unknown
    Options
    Where did you get that price??