Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Storing Wood Chunks in Water

Options
Sailor71
Sailor71 Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am wondering if it is ok to store wood chunks in 1 gallon sealed containers with water. I always forget to soak my chips and chunks before needing them. Thought that if I just store them in water they will always be ready. I seen in BBQ stores they sell chips in small containers full of water.

Comments

• Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    no need to soak them anyway. if you do decide to store them in water, all the good stuff will leach into the water, too.

keep them dry, and use them dry. easiest way i think
  • BigGreenDon
    BigGreenDon Posts: 167
    Options
    I would be a tad concerned about mold growth. If you find chips packaged that way, God knows what they have put in there to retart that kind of problem.

Wood chunks generally burn slow enough to where you do not need to be concerned with soaking. Also, they absorb less water than you think. Test this yourself by soaking a chunk in water for 40 minutes, then split it in half and look. Soaking is generally used to slow chips.

Don
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Well beyond a bad idea. Give a handful a test... after a while when you open the container you will end up gagging with the smell and you will have no desire to try using the wood.

If you want to soak the chips/chunks put them in some water before you light the lump. A 15 minute soak is sufficient.

If you spread out the chips/chunks throughout the lump before you light you don't want them wet anyway.

GG
  • Lothar
    Lothar Posts: 30
    Options
    I've kind of come to the conclusion based on personal experience and what I've read on this board that it isn't really necessary to soak wood chunks. Wood chips, yes, but not wood chunks.

If you still feel like it is important to soak them, what I would suggest is soak them for a 1/2 hour or an hour, drain them, bag them and then freeze them. Ready whenever you want or need them.