Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak suggestions

Options
Steelers252006
Steelers252006 Posts: 115
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife picked up a couple strips last night to grill today, about an inch or so thick. I've read a few methods for grilling steaks, but I'd like to hear a few different approachs at it as I begin to explore some different methods in my quest to make a perfect steak. I do not currently, though soon will, have cast-iron grids or a Woo2 (my egg is the Medium Egg) to put on for the roasting process after searing. I wish they had that Spider contraption for the Mediums, but what are you going to do. Would it be wise, for example, when searing to take out the fire ring and put the grid directly over the fire box, or does that even matter? Thanks all!!

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    do not take the fire ring out!!!

i thinkit was mike in abita that took his fire ring out and cooked directly on the fire box.. when he did this the metal expanded it wedged the grate in there and cracked his egg in the process..

for thick strip steaks do the trex methoud it works really good http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm

hope this helps

go steelers

Sixburgh1.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Lei'd-n-Egg
    Lei'd-n-Egg Posts: 289
    Options
    I like to season my steaks with Hawaiian salt and fresh pepper, that's it. As for cooking, I've been using the Hot Tub method the past few times.

Put the steaks in a ziploc, close it up, and then soak the bag in hot tap water (about 100-105 degrees) and repeat every 15 minutes until the internal steak temp is close to 100 (about an 50 mins).

Then crank the egg up to a good searing temp and cook 90 seconds per side. They should be a good medium rare since they're only 1 inch think.

Good Luck
    Bryan