Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

VERY OT: Florida Panhandle Eggers

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Eggers on the Florida Panhandle, what is the latest update on the beaches?
Tar, oil and smell?
Due to come on the 15th to Seaside and not looking good per the news.
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    My friends returned from Panama City yesterday and the beaches were great. For the most part you should be ok...
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I just traded emails with one of my business partners who is on the beach at Destin right now. He said there is no sign or smell of oil in that area (yet).

He is packing up to come home tomorrow or I would get you further updates.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Thanks, that is the problem.
    800 mile drive and get in on the 15th till the 26th.
    Looking like time to pull the plug. Most worried on the smell coming off the water.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    According to the news the oil is 7 miles off shore. Not sure who everyone is, but everyone is frantically trying to stop the slick from hitting that snow white sand..

I heard this on TV a few days back.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    Come down a little more. Clearwater and St. Pete should be fine.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    I heard tar balls already.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    the news showed some suspected tar balls as well as an ice chest that had floated ashore and had the orange substance all over it.
  • Fidel
    Options
    Oil is on the beach in Panama City.

They are protecting the wetlands and inshore waterways more than the beaches. They state that beaches are easier to clean up and there will be less damage to plants and wildlife than if oil gets into the marshes and similar areas.
  • Fidel
    Options
    Maybe no oil there, but do you have any idea the kind of people they allow to inhabit those areas?
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    Options
    Well me for one, maybe that does explain it...
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    That snow white sand is a limestone composite made from centuries of coral decay. If that oil hit that sand it will be black for decades..

Yes the wildlife and marshlands need to be protected and should be, but they aren't cleaning up that sand anytime soon.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Hasn't he arrested most of them???
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    No he just gives them directions,, to much paperwork with an arrest :ohmy:
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    I live in Mobile (well inland) and though I have friends who say they can smell "something" - I have not. I have a friend with a place in Orange Beach, they went out fishing early this week for the opening of snapper season - came back with the limit. They didn't go out very far. Also, local news reports show tar balls on Dauphin Island, Fort Morgan, and Gulf Shores (the west end). I guess we all fear the worst, and when we see reports of birds covered in oil it's hard to watch.
  • BayBreeze
    BayBreeze Posts: 5
    Options
    Mickey, Our store is on Rt 98 one mile west of the outlet mall across from Seascape. As of right now, people are still in the water. But it looks like tarballs are in Narvarre Beach. Walton County has plans to be out there taking care of the beach 24/7. So it all depends on wind and currents. If you come down, stop by and say hello.