Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first tri-tip!

Options
smoky b
smoky b Posts: 648
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
got a 20 oz tri-tip that i am going to cook tonight. been wanting to do one for months but i need a good method. so i'm leaving it up to the fellas. i pretty much t-rex everything so i'm looking to go in a different direction. anybody got another good recipe to share??

Comments

• BigGreenDon
    BigGreenDon Posts: 167
    Options
    Classic Tri-tip uses a tri-rub as well: Salt+Pepper+Granylated Garlic (and they are liberal with the garlic!).

Many people modify this somwhat, and use their favorite BBQ rub instead of plain salt.

Recommended method:

1) Trim off any excess fat, if any. The bottom of the roast may have a fat cap. This is OK, but if it is excessively thick, trim it down.
    2) Apply a modest thin coating of pepper and pat in all over the Tri-tip, both sides.
    3) Apply a more liberal coating of your favorite rub, all over, and pat in.
    4) Apply an even more liberal coating of granulated garlic, and pat in.

Put this in a plastic bag in the refridgerator and let sit until you are ready to grill. Some people do this overnight, but an hour or two is OK. Are you still at your computer? Do this NOW.

If you have a dual-level grid system in your egg (CI grid inches above the coals, half grid at felt level), then your setup is optimum. If not, you will need to be creative. Usually, you post-sear a Tri-tip.

5) Bring your egg up to 275F. When at temp, throw a chunk of wood on the coals. Tradition would dictate red oak (for Santa Maria style), but use what you like. I like hickory.

6) Put the roast on the grid (top if two level) and cook indirect (aluminum foil or stone on lower level if using two-level) and cook until you get to an internal of around 125F (rare).

(On my dual level setup, I would open both vents all the way on the egg when the tri-tip reached around 122F to prepare for the post sear. You want a lava bed below the bottom grid)

7) When the tri-tip gets to 125F, sear it on both sides. I do this for about a minute-and-a-half per side. (I simply remove the aluminum foil from the bottom grid, and throw the tri-tip on that CI grid)

8) Take the roast off the grill and let it rest for 10 minutes.

9) Slice it thin and enjoy.

Don
  • BigGreenDon
    Options
    Depends on the people!

Probably 4 safely, more likely 6?... depends what else you are having...

I did a 1 1/2 lb one a couple weekends ago. It covered dinner for me and my wife and we had sandwiches for two meals afterwards.

Don
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    Being a So. Cal. girl, born & raised, I've been eating and cooking tri-tip my whole life. Since trying Morro Bay Rich's recipe a few years ago, that is my go to recipe. The spice rub blended with the basting sauce just works! Good luck.
  • BigGreenDon
    Options
    If the numbers are too conservative, the leftovers make VERY good sandwiches!

Don
  • CrimsonTideGirl
    Options
    I have a question. (stupid question) What is a tri-tip?
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    I don't use exact measurments when making the rub, just kind of eye it. But I've never thought it was too salty. Especially if you have a good size piece of meat.
  • texasAUtiger
    texasAUtiger Posts: 154
    Options
    Never had tri tip that I know of... How is the taste/texture compared to say brisket, roast, or other types of beef?

DO you eat it like a steak or on sandwiches?
  • BigGreenDon
    Options
    Big in California, but gaining popularity elsewhere -- it's a triangle shaped piece of beef that is customarily smoked with red oak to rare or medium rare, seared, then sliced thin.

I was introduced to it in Harry Soo's class last month. It takes no longer than 2 hours to prepare once you get it on the grill -- so for us that are used to doing low & slows, it's kind of a form of instant gratification.

It is also called "Santa Maria style BBQ", though it could be argued that it is not really BBQ...

Don
  • egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Options
    Tri tip is the tip of the sirloin cooked as a roast and then cut cross grain and served. I pull mine at 125 and let rest 5-10 minutes for a nice med-rare. This recipe is right on target (went to school in San Luis Obispo right down the street from Santa Maria). Use a chunk of oak with it and all is well. Add baked or crashed red potatoes and maybe some grilled asparagus --- mmmmm. Finish up with grilled pineapple - heaven.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Note that the pic shows it being slice WITH the grain. One does not want to do that. You need to slice it ACROSS the grain.