Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire ring and steaks

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What does the fire ring do? I have heard that when removed, it places
the meat closed to the heat for great searing. Has anyone tried this
idea?

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Doctor J,[p]To do that you need a smaller grid than the main one to rest on the firebox top. It would put it awful close to the fire - not sure why but I guess you could do it. I wouldn't want to lean in there to flip them at 700+ deg though!!! [p]Why not just get the dome temp up to 700+ and put them on for 3 min per side and then seal up the egg and let them sit in there till done to your liking - approx 2-8 min.[p]Tim M
    flames1.gif

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Doctor J,[p]The fire ring serves as a spacer and platform to place the cooking grid on. Although your idea sounds like it would make for intense searing, I haven't tried it yet. You should no problem hitting temps around 1000* for great searing with ring in place.[p]K~G

• Doctor J,[p]I seem to remember reading a thread about this a while back. Best that I can remember, the older eggs can not take the high temps that the new eggs can. To cook steaks and sear them well, the fire ring was removed, and a grate (not sure if it was the same one or a different one) was then placed on top of the fire box, bringing the meat closer to the grate for a better sear. Not necessary with the current egg though.

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Doctor J,
    By removing the ring it does place the meat closer to the fire, but with the new egg's I don't feel it to be all that important. It was a must with the old egg's, they would break at temp's exceeding 375-400.
    Mark

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Q%20setup.jpg
    <p />Doctor J:
    Mark speaks the truth. Look at my Rand McNally red one as proof.

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    JJ,
    Your's seem's to have gone back together much better than mine, do you still use it? Mine broke again after about the third use. I was lucky the present day came out about that time, although my fire box has broken in the new one, it was replace on the spot, no charge, no question's asked.
    Mark

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Mark,
    I use it all the time. The cement I used was Ducco's high temp epoxy. It has held for about 6 years now with no signs of stress.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Doctor J, Yep, and it works fine..I used a smaller diameter Weber grill that slips past the firering and rests on the slightly thicker walls of the firechamber. I don't recall if it was the 13 inch or the 16 inch grate. As others posted, it will require long handled tongs to flip the steak as well as entry and exit moves. [p]I put's the steak close to the proximity of the hot coals and your cook time is shortened. You will have to adjust to it. Thats the reason I like my Small Bge, as it mirrors this approach in the large BGE.[p]Just my opinion...C~W[p]
  • bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    JJ,
    Do you use your red one and BGE for different foods, or just prefer to cook on one or the other as the spirit moves you?