Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thunder Thighs

Options
Gretl
Gretl Posts: 670
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,
I Egged a mess o' chicken thighs on Saturday, which finished cooking in what seemed to me like a hurricane. Very eggciting, I must say. I put together a barbecue sauce that was just great. Here's a list of the basic ingredients: [p]oyster sauce
soy sauce
a little maple syrup
lots of fresh crushed garlic
lots of fres grated ginger
sriracha (hot) sauce
ketchup
sesame oil
ground black pepper
dried oregano
a little sherry from the jar in which I keep the fresh ginger. [p]I just tossed the thighs in this mixture and grilled them indirect over a drip pan, turning once halfway through. Total time was about 1.25 hours.[p]Here's what I'd like to improve upon: The chicken would have benefited from being marinated in this mixture for overnight. Typical fashion for me, I just decided at the last minute that it would be thrilling to Egg during a windstorm. Another thing: we don't eat the skin, and that's where all the good stuff resides. When I try it again, and I certainly will...the flavor was wonderful...I'll do boneless pieces and marinate them for a while. Probably add more oil to compensate for lack of skin.[p]I'll write down the amounts, too. I went very heavy on the garlic, ginger, and sriracha sauce. It was very spicy and wonderful. Even without the skin, the meat held a good deal of the flavor. Can't wait to try it again![p]Cheers,
Gretl

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Gretl,
    Sounds perfect. I have been dabbling a bit with adding herbs to these asian style sauces/marinades. Oregano is a neat idea. I have been playing a bit with thyme. Need to learn more about rosemary, savory and stuff like that.[p]We don't eat the skin either, but I like to cook the pieces with the skin on (I loosen it to get the marinade underneath). Toward the end of the cook, I yank off the skin, and quickly brown the meat that was underneath. [p]I might try your recipe on some skewered chicken tonight. I have heeeee-bob fever![p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Gretl,[p]Not a big fan of meat injectors, especially since the egg was delivered. However, once in awhile I still use the thing and I find that it works well for chicken breasts. They are so bland alone and cook so quickly that I've found injecting them makes a bit of a difference. I've marinated some for a day or so and still seem to not get the flavor THROUGH the meat, its all on the outside. And in that the skin is where the good stuff is, and its the worst part for you, I also remove it. I take the needle, inject it lengthwise down the breast and while I'm injecting the marinade I remove the needle. Gets a good shot of the stuff down the length of the chicken breast. You need to puree the marinade but the needle I have has pretty good size holes in it so the smaller particles of herbs and such are not a problem, minced garlic size stuff causes problems though. Just a thought...[p]Troy