Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new design extra large Egg ?

Blizzard58
Blizzard58 Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Little Steven said something about a new design for the extra large egg Anybody know if there is a difference and what the difference is between new design and old of any size egg

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Blizzard58,

One of the problems withe XL was that it had a squat dome. That meant that a short platesetter had to be used for indirect cooks. Bge then modified the fire ring and a longer legged platesetter which allowed more cooking space. Now the unit has been redesigned with a stronger hinge mechanism and a dome that has similar geometry to the other sizes. This should mean that there is more hot space available so multi tier cooking is possible. The ceramic grill store will, no doubt, come up with adjustible rigs and so on for this unit.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Blizzard58
    How do you know if you are buying new or old style ex egg
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Little Steven wrote:
    Blizzard58,

One of the problems withe XL was that it had a squat dome. That meant that a short platesetter had to be used for indirect cooks. Bge then modified the fire ring and a longer legged platesetter which allowed more cooking space. Now the unit has been redesigned with a stronger hinge mechanism and a dome that has similar geometry to the other sizes. This should mean that there is more hot space available so multi tier cooking is possible. The ceramic grill store will, no doubt, come up with adjustible rigs and so on for this unit.

Steve

LS, I guess I've missed the posts about the hinge changes could you or someone post a link or provide info on the new hinge for the XL? Thanks, Mike
  • Little Steven
    I'm not sure if fredsmusicandbbq.com? has done one or not

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Steven,
    Wouldn't it be best to just get the new Dome. Instead of getting
    another XL? Already have XL.
  • Blizzard58
    New dome, new hinges, I'm alittle :S confused. Which one or both does the new and improved ex lg egg have and how can you tell when buying one that you are getting new design I'm really itchin to buy an egg just dont want to buy last years model when new model is out at various locations
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I don't have an extra large egg but I suggest you call your dealer and see if they have the newest style extra large egg or call the mothership. Tim :)
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    when were these changes made?

thanks, mr toad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • Little Steven
    mr toad,

They had them on display at Eggtoberfest last year.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Gary,

Not sure if that is an option.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    I heard that one can order the New Top Dome.
  • Blizzard58
    I called BGE corp. and they told me the best way to tell if it is the new style egg is buy looking at the firebox and if it has the joint cut into it that is the new ex lg egg with the newly designed dome