Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Variation on Gretl grilled salmon, great stuff

Options
sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,[p]Well, as you can tell, it was a fishy weekend around the house. All of it was fresh out of the lake, never been frozen, and I just HAD to take advantage of that.[p]I did a variation on Gretl's recipe that worked out great. I've not tried the Burbon glaze, I'll have to now as my variation was pretty awesome, Makes me want to try the original. The only difference is that I used Cognac in place of the burbon (all I had in the liquor cabinet) and Honey Mustard, again all I had. Both added a real nice sweetness to the fish. I cooked it over indirect heat over a drip pan of beer for about an hour, basting it every 10 minutes or so, used cherry wood for smoke and laid it on pretty heavy. Turned out wonderful. Nice variation on the original (I say this without having tried the original but others have raved about it).[p]Troy - I think I'm starting to grow gills

Comments

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    sprinter,
    I made the salmon this weekend also. It was a gorgeous 4.5 lb side. I used water in the drip pan, and I only opened the Egg once about halfway through to dump on the remaining glaze. As far as juicy goes, it was just wonderful. There were 13 of us, and even with plenty of side dishes, that fish was gone in no time at all![p]sound like your variation was tremendous. I wonder about the beer...do you think it added to the flavor? I'll have to try that next time. Also, I'm working on a homemade teriyaki glaze.[p]Cheers,
    G.

• sprinter
    Options
    Gretl,[p]Gotta be honest with you, the only reason the beer was in the drip pan is that it was in a cooler that was left outside from the night (2 nights?) before. It had warmed up a bit by sitting in the cooler overnight(s) so I couldn't drink it (not right then anyway) so threw the 2 cans in the drip pan. I went through a phase where I thought that the liquid in the drip pan added a lot of flavor, I'm not 100% sold on it though. I need to do some 'sperimentin on that one. I couldn't tell on the salmon though, it had such a distinct flavor of its own that I think the beer flavor would have been hard do discern anyway. Thanks for the great recipe, if you like smoked salmon you have to try the recipe that I did last weekend posted below (or above, not sure). alt here in the forum gave it to me and its awesome. Thanks again,[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Gretl,
    I betcha Guinness Stout would do glorious things to that big orange piece o flesh![p]Whaddya think??
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • sprinter
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Sorry NB, just saw this on down here in the list of posts, must have missed it yesterday. Gotta tell ya though, not too sure about the Guinness on the salmon. Have you ever tried Guinness on a fish or seafood recipe? I think it may over power the fish somewhat? May be an interesting experiment. My last few weeks of cooking fish has taught me that for the most part, less is more with fish/seafood on the egg. Most of it has such a delicate flavor of its own that you run the risk of overpowering it if you're not careful. Just my opinion without ever having tried it. If you have and its good, by all means let me know. I have several fillets of fish in the freezer right now just screaming to be cooked. A couple of weeks in the freezer is all I like to leave fish and I certainly have a couple of weeks of cooking to do to get rid of it. Any ideas for Amberjack fillets, whole salmon (I'm going to smoke this I think, it was awesome), whole black snapper, and some king mackerel steaks?[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    sprinter,
    I don't think Guinness would overpower it any more than bourbon, or sherry or whatever. The roasted malt/chocolaty flavor might be a nice compliment.[p]Not really any great ideas for your fish, except that the last salmon filet I cooked very hot (500) and got a beautiful sear, and perfectly done meat! I know you like a fairly heavy smoke, so those big fish might roast nicely on some spinach.[p]Sorry I am a bit short on ideas for ya. Careful while you get used to breathing through those gills you are growing![p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ