Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Egg and I: A Story of Neglect, Estrangement, Redemption, and Joy

Options
TRex
TRex Posts: 2,714
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, so I'm a bit sentimental tonight (and I've had a couple of glasses of cabernet). Been working long hours, most weekends, and haven't cooked on the Egg for over 3 weeks. Anyway, tonight I bought a huge top sirloin steak (okay, so I asked the butcher to cut me one 1-3/4" thick, b/c that's how I always buy my strips, but I guess I failed to realize how LONG a top sirloin steak is). Anyway, after doing some trimming, he managed to get it down to 2.5 lbs. Wow! I was so dazzled but how massive and wonderful it looked, I had to go through with it. When I unwrapped it at home, my wife gave me one of those looks (you know the ones), but I told her don't worry, I know what I'm doing.[p]Anyway, long story short, I did a perfect sear, perfect rest, and perfect roast of this bad boy and I mean this steak was awesome! And for a fraction of the cost of a NY Strip ($6.99/lb compared to $17.99/lb). It was my first time cooking top sirloin, but certainly not the last! I was so proud of the Egg - I just had to have a moment - my wife loved the steak but thought that I was a little too melodramatic about the Egg.[p]The sad part of the story is that I HAVE NO PICTURES!! Since my EBay deal went sour, I'm high and dry without a digicam. Time to go back to the drawing board I guess.[p]But if you can use your imagination, just picture a huge top sirloin with cross-sear marks and juices flowing, a perfect medium rare . . . .[p]Cheers,[p]TRex

Comments

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    TRex,[p]Had to smile (joining you on the path of cabernet). I do ribeye, I do strips, and when I really want STEAK...I do a top sirloin. Definitely more chewy and not the "cut with a fork" mentality, but the flavor is unbeatable. That's MY steak.[p]mShark
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    MollyShark,[p]Yeah! I didn't mind the chewy b/c it was packed with FLAVOR. Just a different experience all together. Great cut of beef.[p]Cheers yet again,[p]TRex
  • Swagit
    Swagit Posts: 7
    Options
    TRex,
    I had to smile. 2 weeks ago, I did the same thing to impress my son (home from school) with a perfect steak. My bride and I usually do Ribeyes. I asked for 1 3/4", and ended up with 2+ lbs of great looking Sirloin! A lot bigger than anticipated, but not bigger than the TRex method! Never fails! Thanks again![p]David

• PackerFan
    Options
    TRex,[p]The steak would not taste the same if it wasn't for your Steak cooking method. I have not bought a ribeye or strip since the first time I bought a top sirloin. I get them cut 1.5 inch thick and Trex to Medium Rare and rubbed with Cow Lick. My favorite. Last week my local grocerey store ran a sale on Certified Angus Top Sirloin for 2.99lb. I ran to the store and the butcher even double checked his math on the label he printed and stuck on the steak. 2.7 lbs for just under $8.00. Insane. I told my neighbor we were cooking steak and he had just bought Rib-eyes. He had been wanting to check out my egg for sometime so here they come with there small Rib-eyes. He swore it was the best ribeye he had ever eaten. I went inside and cut him a corner of the sirloin and dropped on his plate. He said he wouldn't eat it. He was a picky steak eater and only liked Ribeye. He lit up like a Xmas tree. He also polished off the last of the Sirloin. He freaked when he found out that my 2.7 lb steak that tasted better was 1.00 less than his ribeye. [p]Kenny
  • BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    TRex,[p]Personally, I think the sirloin is the most flavorful of all the steak cuts. Seems to me the more tender a cut is, the less flavor it has. I'm lucky because my local grocery carries prime sirloin... the best of the best.[p]I shouldn't read this stuff so early in the morning. Now I'm HUNGRY!