Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Refinishing Mates

Options
loco_engr
loco_engr Posts: 5,765
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
No before pics of how black and grease covered the wood slats where, but they were in pretty darn bad shape.
After scubbing with dish washing soap and a stiff brush
and app. 20 passes with an orbital sander (100 grit)
there is still some "blotchiness" to the slats. :(

eggmatesrefinishing.jpg

What do you think of the chances of getting the stains out and what would you use?

Planning on staining with redwood deck stain (if I can find it in basement :ohmy: ) and the minwax spar urethane.

Thanks!
aka marysvilleksegghead
Lrg 2008
mini 2009
XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
Henny Youngman:
I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Dan,

It's adds nice character. ;)

You'd have to sand it out.
  • loco_engr
    Options
    Is it OK to use the spar urethane over an lindseed oil stain?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Dan,

As long as they are both 'oil' based, I would think your good. But anything waterbased shouldn't ever be mixed with oil based products. I learned that with a wood puddy and a water base finish on a wood floor. :pinch:
  • loco_engr
    Options
    Adam:

Thanks for the info! As of now I have 4 coats of the
    spar urethane on and going for 1 more coat.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • ArizonaBoxster
    Options
    You probably have enough coats on it already (from a protection perspective) unless you were heavily sanding in between coats. Are you trying to build up a heavy film finish appearance?
  • LImp Brisket
    Options
    this is a test
  • LImp Brisket
    Options
    [img size=150][/img]100_0883.jpg