Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Difference between pork shoulder and butt

Options
Quiltkris
Quiltkris Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the difference between a pork shoulder and a pork butt and which one is better for pulled pork? Thanks!

Comments

• Lostinmadnez
    Options
    I would get either one for pulled pork ;-)
    Both are the same thing, the pork shoulders used to be packed in wooden barrels for transport. The word was, if I remember correctly, similar to butt. Sometimes during some war. I am sure Wikipedia knows more.
    And thats why today pork butt = pork shoulder!
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Actually, if he really means a pork shoulder, the shoulder is comprised of two main parts, the butt and the picnic. So a "pork shoulder" is referring to the whole shoulder, both picnic and butt. A "pork butt" is referring to the butt end of the shoulder (nearest the body) while the picnic is referring to the shank end of the shoulder.
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    You find information about many pork cuts at my glossary:

Glossary of Barbecue Terms

The butt is the upper part of the shoulder. A shoulder consists of two parts, the butt and the picnic.
    The Naked Whiz
  • NotabuttDave
    NotabuttDave Posts: 181
    Options
    Just remember Pork Butt is a cooler term. Use it whenver you can. I try to insert it into conversations whenever I can.

"Looks like rain","Yep, not a good day to smoke a Pork Butt"
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    3fc9a37a.jpg

This is a whole shoulder, the front leg of a hog. The half closer to the hoof is called the picnic end, the other end is the butt. They are separated at the joint. In the picture above, the picnic is on the left.

Here is a picnic

DSC05091H.jpg

And here is a butt

DSC06358JPGa.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    As for which is better, I imagine everyone has their own opinion. You'll just have to try them both and see which YOU like. For me, it's a butt... No contest.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I have smoked both and I love eating them both but, I like the picnic a little more. Tim ;)

000_1310.jpg

000_1342.jpg

Above is a picnic cook.

The picnic is just a tasty or even tastier than a butt but a butt is very tasty. I don't know why don't you try one for yourself and let us know what you think. ;)

Below is a butt cook.

000_1955.jpg

000_1957.jpg
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Careful Doug,
    Old Bordello gets going on all this Butt talk. :woohoo:

Hope all is well with you and yours,
    Bordello
  • Frobozz
    Frobozz Posts: 98
    Options
    What often gets sold as 'pork shoulder' in stores is actually a picnic roast; it's the lower part of the foreleg. The "butt" comes from the upper part.

Butts are more forgiving of heat variations, BBQ screwups, etc. They're so easy to cook that some competitions ban their use for pulled pork. They're a good place to start if you've never made pulled pork. They're usually also more expensive than picnic roasts.

Picnic roasts often need to be trimmed -- many (but certainly not all) people remove the skin that often comes with these roasts. It's also possible to dry them out when smoking, although it's not easy. They're generally cheaper than butts. If they're cooked properly, I think they have superior flavor to butts.