Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cast iron cooking grid

Options
glenn
glenn Posts: 151
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just picked up my cast iron cooking grid today
and couldnt wait to try it
My youngest wanted a hamburger and my wife wanted a rib eye
so I fired up humpty and took it up to about 750 and tossed on the burgers the grill marks were perfect let em cook abour 2 minutes a side and my thermopen said 135 so I thought medium rare and should be perfect. the sone ate them and complained that they had a "burnt" taste.
So I went on and did the rib eye, just a small one about 3/4" thk
I cooked it the same except I started it at about 600 bout a minute and a half the 1/2 turn anothe minute and a half then flip and repeat with about 1 minute dwell at the end
Again the grill marks were perfect , looked beter than any steak I had ever cooked, The internal was at 125 (rare) but the wife had the same comment had a "burnt" taste
I usualy cook my steaks and burger at 750 or higher on a raised grid
I have never before had a complaint for burnt taste
what could be amiss
help if you can
Glenn

Comments

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    Glenn,
    I had a similar issue a few weeks ago, I realy can't count the number of steaks that i've cooked on the egg in the last 7 months that all were great, but something i did different on that cook that even i did not care for the flavor. First thing instead of searing with the dome down I had it wide open. second thing was fresh lump with out burning off some of the nasties. If you made the same mistakes i did i understand were you are coming from, did something different than the norm???

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Glenn, I am going to guess just a tad here, but I think your problem is exactly the same as for a cast iron skillet.
    You may have to precondition your cast iron grids with several high burns with coatings of brushed on melted lard or bake some bacon on it.
    Then try your direct grilling again.
    C~W

• FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 164
    Options
    Char-Woody..,
    I think you are right about needing to season a cast iron grid. Cast iron makes some mighty nasty tastes if cooked on "raw". I must disagree, however, about your choice of seasonings. Even though you will likely be cooking meat on the grid almost exclusively, it is better to season the grid with a vegetable oil such as Crisco. To season the grid, simply coat both sides with Crisco and put in the egg at about 350* for at least an hour. [p]BTW, the reason to not use animal based fats is that the initial seasoning penetrates the metal and animal fats will get rancid give off some really funky flavors.[p]Just my nickel's worth.

• Char-Woody
    Options
    FatDog, me thinks your tips are valid...Is not Crisco a form of lard? I was going by the use of using a piece of raw bacon to season a cast iron skillet while heating it to the frying temps. Your suggestion should work also. Once he has it seasoned, he should only high heat clean it. Like a skillet. Me thinks..maybe??
    Thanks.
    C~W[p]

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Crisco is made from vegetable fats vs. animal fats. I recall also reading that seasoning does work better with a solid fat like Crisco vs. liquid vegetable oils. Don't know why....
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, you should still be in bed...your up too early...smile.
    Now I have to go look. I suspect your right..
    Cheers,
    C~W[p]

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Huh? It's almost noon. But I did get up too early. 7:30 to walk the dog and now I want a nap. Poor dog just got his first bath at home. He doesn't like water. I'm damp, covered with black fur and soap. But he's a sweet dog, even though he threw up twice this morning. How's this related to q? Well, I gave him the bone out of yesterday's butt and he loved it, but it didn't seem to agree with his tummy. Ramble, ramble, ramble. Yesterday's brisket for dinner! I can't wait!!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, And you were right..Soybean oils along with about 3 other origins of fats..all vegetable.
    I almost believe he could use the Grillin Pam spray which I think is Palm Oil based.
    Brisket has that wonderful characteristic of improving in taste as it ages. I used a touch of Cavenders Greek seasonings added just before reheating..Good stuff.
    Chowser.
    C~W[p]

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Not to be a technocrat, but Crisco or any other room temperature firm oil has to be extremely pure in order to stay firm. I think that is the main reason for it's use in seasoning.

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Bobby-Q, Right again, scratch crisco. Best bet is to find the Lodge Cast Iron webpage and I believe they have a treatment recommendation. I would use that on any cast iron appliance. grills..etc.
    Whats a technocrat...smile
    C~W[p]

• FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 164
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    OK, guys ... I went to the source (Lodge) and here's what they say ...[p]Use & Care of your Natural Finish Lodge Cast Iron Cookware
    Your new cookware will last a lifetime with proper care and seasoning. Seasoning is the process of allowing oil to be absorbed into the iron, which creates a natural non-stick, rustproof finish. It is actually a very simple process. Here's how to do it:[p]1. Wash new cookware with hot, soapy water and a stiff brush.[p]2. Rinse and dry completely.[p]3. Apply a thin coat of melted vegetable shortening (i.e. Crisco) to the entire surface (including lid if applicable), both inside and out.[p]4. Line the lower oven rack with aluminum foil (To catch any drippings), and preheat oven to 350° F.[p]5. Place cookware upside down on the upper oven rack, and bake for one hour. [p]6. Turn oven off and let cookware cool before removing from oven.[p]7. Store in a cool, dry place. If you have a lid for your utensil, place a folded paper towel between the lid and the utensil to allow air to circulate.[p]8. NEVER wash in dishwasher.[p]9. If your utensil develops a metallic smell or taste or shows signs of rust, never fear. Wash with soap and hot water, scour off rust, and reseason.[p]After use: Clean using a stiff brush and hot water only (do not wash in dishwasher). Towel dry immediately and apply a light coating of vegetable oil to cookware while still warm.[p]I never thought this subject would generate so much contention. ;-) I thought my post under "12 Step" would cause more discussion.[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    FatDog, years ago here on this forum we discussed curing cast iron cookware and my memory failed me at this point. I knew Lodge had the best alternatives. We have cleaned many a cast iron pot and pan in the ceramics at 6-700 degrees basically following those same instructions.
    I would let em cool after the intense burn off and renew them with bacon grease or similar. Looks like Crisco wins.
    Let us know how the cure treatment goes.
    C~W[p]