Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Gasket - thanx RPP

Options
FatDog
FatDog Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just wanted to post a public thanks to RPP (Ron) for help and advice with replacing the gasket on my large egg. I fused the seal a couple of weeks ago after a pizza cook and decided to replace it with a Rutland. Works like a charm. Again, thanks to Ron for the help.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    You're welcome Alan!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Ron, can you find the smaller diameter one for the mini? I've looked all over down here with no luck. The other 3 are holding up great.
  • RRP
    Options
    ???my mini's edge is 5/8" - what am I missing?
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    Mine is 5/8" also but both larges and the small are 1" and the gasket covers the whole width. I thought there was a narrower one available.
  • RRP
    Options
    Pat,

The flat braid only comes in 1 size - 5/8" though the rope which you don't want comes in smaller sizes. Remember the "bunching" process whereby the 5/8" spreads to the 1" width like this?
    IMG_0317.jpg

Thus looking like this:
    IMG_0383.jpg

Ron
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Pat, here's the bulk info from Rutland...

http://www.rutland.com/productinfo.php?product_id=71

I have a local hardware store that has several spools of different sizes, though I don't recall which sizes, that they sell by the foot. For my large, I think it was about 75¢ a foot. I've been meaning to buy some for my own Mini, assuming they have the right size. If they do, I'll be happy to pick up enough for two. Just email me your address.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• FlaPoolman
    Options
    Ron, are you just trimming off the excess or letting it hangout the outside?
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    Thanks Michael, if you find it I'll be happy to buy it and pay shipping. I have it on the other 3 and have been real happy with the way they hold up.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    You most certainly will not! It'll prob'ly cost me less than $5. I can handle that. :) You can buy me a beer if we ever make it to the same fest. :lol:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• FlaPoolman
    Options
    or 10 :laugh: :laugh:
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    haha. It would take me a MONTH to drink that much beer!! Maybe longer! :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• FlaPoolman
    Options
    I've been known to be fairly well stocked at fests but can't compare to Sparky with his bottomless cooler that weighs about 3 tons :whistle: :woohoo:
  • RRP
    Options
    Pat - I don't follow your questions tonight. The Rutland flat braid gasket is 5/8" wide. If you push it back into itself that makes it wider and thicker or in other words 1" WIDE or more if going on an XL. There is no trimming. Also the gaskets shown below are the rope style - not the flat braids and personally I'd never use the rope.