Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Egg lighting technique, what's yours?

2»

Comments

• OKCeggerOKCegger Posts: 38
    Brokersmoker - you just posted how I light mine. Works good for me. :)
  • MetalheadMetalhead Posts: 668
    mapp torch definitely....but why not stir the lump? :unsure:
  • RipnemRipnem Posts: 5,511
    Marc,

That's a sneaky little method. ;)

I add and sometimes mix a bit, then try to light the old pieces with the torch.
    Frank,

That's aggressive. B)
    Metalhead,

Stirring the lump will help get the ash to fall through the fire grate and make room for the air needed for an efficient fire.
  • thebtlsthebtls Posts: 2,300
    p2707809reg.jpg

Many an EggHead has preached the virtues of dozens of ways to fire up their BGE's...I've settled on the LANDMANN Fire Starter. If you look hard on the Internet you can buy for $3.85 for 24 or buy them retail for $6.99. I just wont waste my time with any other method (my two cents)...
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • SWOkla-JerrySWOkla-Jerry Posts: 638
    They are 2.82 now at Amazon.
  • Ive been pretty consistent in using the rolled up paper towel soaked in veggie oil but and really contemplating using 50cc of 90/10 rubbing alcohol. Watched the youtube video and it looked pretty easy and quick.

part one video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWZUrtaEb-U

part 2 video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH1VxWsR1Sw&feature=channel
    the original poster said he doesn't stir his lump.....I was wondering why. I always stir the lump.
  • 'Q Bruddah'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    All that follows is light hearted and meant to cast light on my individual situation. I love this thread in that there is no best way but only individual favorite ways.

Ron, I agree it is not about cost. :whistle: I understand that the cubes can be cut in half. :) I might even agree that a fast light is not the most important to me. I am also not sure what the weather or ambient temp is there in the peach orchard in Georgia.

Here it has been a cold, wet and blowing May in the Northwest and I don't care to stand around building teepees over half cubes and coaxing them to temp with an eagle eye while the wind and rain blows up my backside. :woohoo: Imagine: I am not soaking up rays while contemplating the nuances of the slow food movement. If I am soaking at all, it is because I am wet. I want to be able to stir that lump and light that sucka and KNOW its going while I retreat to my warm kitchen. Thankfully at this point I also don't have any wee ones under foot ...er helping.
  • Trout BumTrout Bum Posts: 343
    The forum member who suggested the mapp approach to me said he did not stir the lump. He said the reason for not stirring was to not destroy the air paths through the lump created during the last burn.

If not egging, I'd rather be fishing.

Trout Bum
    that makes sense. never thought of that b4. usually I have to stir the lump because the previous cook was a lo and slow :side:

thanks for the info
  • DavekatzDavekatz Posts: 763
    No problem. Hate to think there's 2 of me running around out there though ;)
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.