Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

One Hour Ribs II - The Final Eggsperiment

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The challenge of cooking good ribs in one hour or less on the Egg reached Phase II today when I attempted once more to achieve that elusive performance.

But this time I did things differently.

First of all, the ribs were 'hot tubbed' in 117° water for 30 minutes while I brought Lily Large up to 425° and let her get used to it. She was set up indirect, raised grid.

I prepared a rub consisting of kosher salt, paprika, fresh ground pepper and Bad Byron's Butt Rub (1 tbs each) and rubbed it on after removing the membrane.

Next I put them on the Egg @ 425° indirect and then shut down the Egg entirely. The idea was to allow the Egg's heat to cook the ribs over one hour while maintaining all or most of the moisture inside the Egg.

It was going okay for the first half hour but I just had to see what the ribs looked like.

While I had the dome open I slapped on some BBQ sauce and promptly closed it again. The temperature dropped to 280 but I quickly brought it back up to the 300° it was just before I opened the dome. Then I shut it down for the remaining time.

At exactly one hour I opened the dome and promptly wrapped the ribs in foil and let them rest for twenty minutes.

Only then did I cut into them. They were a bit undercooked this time but not by much. It may have been due to the excessive amount of meat on the ribs.

However, they were very tasty, even without adding sauce. Pulled away from the bone okay and I could actually taste the meat.

Took some to Egghead Neighbor, Lucky Mon, and this time he gave them a 7.75. He also thought the flavor was good but the excessive meat on the bones probably caused them to be a bit undercooked.

Here's some photos:

DSC03541.jpg

DSC03542.jpg

DSC03544.jpg

DSC03546.jpg

DSC03547.jpg

DSC03548.jpg

At least it has been a fun Eggsperiment to see if one-hour ribs are even possible (yes they are) but I think I'll go back to cooking them a wee bit longer (Unless I get another brain-phart idea).

Spring "Rib Power In One Hour" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Why 117 and not up to ~200 or something? Shouldn't that get you under the wire?
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    117° was what the water temperature was when I put the ribs in. I just decided to keep it close to that.

Spring "Ackuracie Is Not My Fort-Tea" Chicken
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    You're not going to be happy until I try this, are you? I'll sit on my brain for a couple days with cooking fluid and formulate a plan. :)

Mike
  • Unknown
    Options
    I was thinking of trying this myself by throwing them in the pressure cooker for 15 minutes first. I'm fairly convinced
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    just a thought from my own experience - if your cold ribs went into 117 degree water which was in your stainless sink then within less than 10 minutes that water was probably only 90 at best and the meat at a lot lower temp than even that. When I'm hot tubbing I go an hour and after just 10 minutes I change the water and then again about 20 minutes later when it has cooled to 100 again and change the water one more time. OTOH shouldn't the hot tub time let alone the rest time at the end be added to the hour "cook time" thus vs. calling them closer to like 2 hour ribs?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Unknown
    Options
    That's a good point. I missed that in the write-up. Someone should write-up some official rules :)
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I know what you are getting at but I kept them up around 115° by adding hot water a few times.

As for 'hot tubbing' counting as 'cook time,' no, it's 'prep time.' I could have let them set on the counter or even in a bowl of buttermilk and it still would be 'prep time.' The 'cook time' started when the ribs hit the inside of the hot Egg.

I had actually planned to cook them direct, especially since there would be no fire, just heat, but I changed my mind at the exact moment I forgot to do it.

I may try again one of these days but not anytime soon. If and when I try again I'll consider foiling the ribs for a few minutes at some point in the cook.

Spring "Wondering If Adam's Missing Rib Was Part Of An Experiment That Failed" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I'm glad to see you take up the challenge. If anyone can make one-hour ribs you should be able to, and better.

Bear in mind, I'm not trying to make the 'best' ribs, only some really good ribs in under an hour.

To be 'really good' they need to be a consistent 8 or better. I may find the other half of the rack to be just that, 8 or better. Might know tomorrow when I warm 'em up.

Spring "Testing Is Believing" Chicken
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Most people think "One Rib Short BBQ" is a biblical reference. I personaly think Adam asked God for a GOOD mate and he told him. It will cost you an arm and a leg. Adams replies, that is to much. What can I get for a rib? LOL
    Mike
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    117° was close enough to the 115° I intended to start with. The water cooled rapidly when I put the cool ribs in, but I quickly poured more hot water into the sink.

I wasn't seeking 'hot' water.

Spring "How Hot Is Hot" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    You must have been a traveling preacher in an earlier life. They all use that story LOL...

Spring "Rib Bone Is Not Connected To The Other Rib Bones" Chicken
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    One told me that.

Mike
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Prep to table 60 minutes. Good Lord what am I going to do?

Mike
  • pissclams
    pissclams Posts: 49
    Options
    KC Masterpiece sauce... that alone will keep your ribs from ever reaching an "8" :ohmy:
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    I wasn't going to get involved in this because I've been cooking ribs low and slow since we got the BGE, and liking the results. But I did cook ribs fairly quickly back in my gasser days:

I would season the ribs with salt and pepper and cook them for 30 minutes in a 350º indoor oven, turn them and cook for another 30 minutes, cut them into individual ribs, sauce them with Sweet Baby ray's and crisp them for 2 or 3 minutes on the hot gasser. They were surprisingly good.

I have a rack of spares in the fridge. I think I'm going to set up the Large for a 350º indirect cook and the Small for a 450º direct cook and give them a try this weekend.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Wow! You even got a nice pullback on the bones. Curious, did you check the temps of the ribs when you removed them from the hot tub? Thanks.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Nope... Can't think of everything in my condition (old phart).

Had some for lunch today. So much meat on 'em that I could only eat two. Very good in spite of being a little undercooked.

Spring "Fast Is Not Quick Enough" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Go for it. Never know what might happen.

Spring "Eggsperimentating Is A Beautiful Thang" Chicken