Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Steel Keg

Options
2»

Comments

• BananaChipz
    BananaChipz Posts: 207
    Options
    Oh Bacchus...

Bacchus Bacchus Bacchus :)

I do agree.. but remember, you may be talking to someone who doesn't go to EggFests (new owner? Especially given $50 entrance fees - Yes.. I'm lookin' at you Dickson's in Toronto!).

Here in Toronto, a Large BGE is $1100 CDN - not including Nest, tables, or anything but the "vanilla" Egg. Once you add everything you *need* to walk out the door you are ~$1800 tax included here.

The BSK sells for 899 and comes with (besides the aforementioned trailer hitch), a CI grid (ok that's a wash), a double level rack, adjustable height grate, side tables, stand. A newb can pretty much walk out for $1015 ready to go (we have 13% tax here). That's roughly an $800 difference - nothing to shake a stick at.

Yes Yes.. before you go ranting as you usually do about how I should sell my Egg, because I don't belong in your world, and lifetime warranty etc.. blah blah.. Remember, you're talking potentially about people who don't think "lifetime" with a BBQ. I do.. You do.. For some 10 years is a long time to own it, and if it lasts that long then great!

As the late Gary Coleman (R.I.P) showed: It takes Different Strokes to move the world!
  • BananaChipz
    Options
    Agreed Tweev.. that's kind what I'm getting at.. There is room for more than one charcoal cooker in this world.

In fact the argument for Ceramic or Clay in say a pizza stone scenario is quite the opposite. The reason for the cripsy crust is that the ceramic absorbs moisture and provides a "drier" heat.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Large BGE kits cost $1600 in Vancouver. Add GST & HST and you're right $1800. OUCH.
  • F308gt4
    F308gt4 Posts: 35
    Options
    I came very close to getting a bubbakeg, but in the end, went with a BGE.

My primary reasons:

Warranty: IIRC- it was 3/5 years, not 10. I had concerns about how long the steel would last, and also, how well the insulation would last (ever have an insulated mug where the insulation went to crap and it stopped insulating as well?). Unfortunately, the bubbakeg/BSK has not been around that long, so the question is unanserable at this time.

Temp: The warranty is invalidated if you use the bubbakeg/BSK at > than 800 degrees. The BGE has no such limits, and I've seen plenty of posts were people intentionally cooked at super high temps for pizza, searing steaks, etc. May not make much of a difference for most people, but what happens when you stop paying attention for a little while and the temp spikes up without you noticing? Will something get damaged, and ththen you are stuck with a damaged cooker and invalidated warranty?

Other than that, the bubbakeg/BSk seems to cook very similar to the BGE, from what I can tell by reading the various BBQ forums. If anything, it appears to be more efficent (i.e., holds heat better) than the ceramics. I personally think it looks pretty cool, and the portability is a nice advantage. Also, the reality is, for the most part, the bubbakeg/BSK is cheaper when you consider what it comes with compared to a similarly equipped BGE.

In the end, though, I am glad I went with the BGE. It does the job, does it quite well, and I feel confident knowing that I will have support for it many, many years down the road.

Hope this helps.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I've always been under the impression that the moisture claim was that since a ceramic cooker holds heat better than metal, you need a smaller fire to maintain the same temp. A smaller fire means less air is sucked into and pumped out of the cooker. Less air passing through the cooker means the food retains moisture since there isn't as great of a drying flow of air over the food. I didn't think it had anything to do with sealing.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    The BSK is metal but is also insulated. I've never used one but from what I've read, the outside remains cooler than the BGE under a similar fire. To me, this would suggest:

Less combustion would be needed to maintain temp
    -> less air going through the cooker to maintain temp
    -> better moisture retention.

Anyway, I don't really care. I think the egg is fugly and fun. :)
  • BananaChipz
    Options
    "fugly and fun" ..

Can I use that? Love it.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i could just image a few years of 1200 degree pizza cooks on that thing :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: i know it wouldnt last for me. will it crank up to 1200 or would i have to start drilling holes in it to increase the airflow :whistle:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Unknown
    Options
    BananaChipz wrote:
    "fugly and fun" ..
    Can I use that? Love it.

Sure thing. I'm here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress :)
  • Braddog
    Braddog Posts: 212
    Options
    Greg;

That's my blog with the side by side comparison. I did the work and wrote the blog posts. I'd be happy to discuss the two in detail if you'd like to send me a PM (braddog at grillandbarrel.com).

As I've said on my blog and the Bubba Keg forum, if I could only buy one cooker it'd be the Big Green Egg.

Cheers,
    Braddog
    http://www.grillandbarrel.com
  • Reverend BSB
    Reverend BSB Posts: 157
    Options
    F308gt4 wrote:
    Temp: The warranty is invalidated if you use the bubbakeg/BSK at > than 800 degrees.

I had not read this. Very interesting. No reason to get a Keg then.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Bananaman,

After you've saved yourself a buncha money. Be sure and 'oil' that thing down.(per the manufacturer) :laugh: So as to hold off the rusting for a bit. :whistle:

Then when the thing is falling apart, you may have to find a newly named company, that may or may not stand behind the product. That's if they are still in business. :laugh:

Worlds Best Smoker and Grill with a lifetime warranty......PRICELESS!!
    B)