Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick ET 73???

Austin Egger
Austin Egger Posts: 256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need to pull the trigger and purchase a thermometer so that I can do a long low and slow. I definitely want two probes with alarms for the temp and a remote that I can monitor the temp from inside my house. What are the disadvantages to this unit? It sounds like it is only real good at the low and slow and it doesn't register past 400 or so??? Do these still work good for doing spatchcock chickens? I also read one post that the remote didn't work very far away from the egg...only 25 ft or so??? Is this the best unit for the criteria that I described or is there one that is a better choice??? Thanks as always for any feedback :)

Comments

• I’ve done a few spatchcock chickens with my Maverick (the egg branded one), but I watch the temp to make sure it doesn’t get to hot, I know some folks have burned the probe wires. I’ve read a few posts where people wrap the wires with foil and I’m sure this would buy you some time if you let things go so to speak. It is only good for lower temp cooks.
    I’ve used it on about 12 cooks with no issues.
    Spatchcock
    Ribs to monitor the grill temp
    Butts
    Brisket

I’ve heard about the range issue also, but I’m pretty close to the unit from inside the house – maybe 20 feet through a brick wall. There are a few posts on the internet to add an antenna and it really increases the range a lot – not sure if you want to crack it open though. I think I found the link on this forum, but I couldn’t find it now.

Overall, I think it is a good unit for the price.

Hope this helps...
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

You can easily go on line and read the specs...

I have fantastic range with my ET-73 and it works well. As for putting aluminum foil over the leads there are two ways at looking at the practice.

It will keep the leads clean, however, I am not convinced the aluminum foil acts as a heat shield. Try taking a 3 inch square of aluminum foil and holding it by 1 corner. Now take a match and let the flame lick at the other end of the foil. How long can you hold on the the foil? I am not sure if the foil acts like a heat shield or a heat conductor. You are not going to get away from heat getting to the foil and transferring to the leads.

I don't foil the leads and I don't use the ET-73 for higher temperature cooks.

If mine breaks, I am buying another.

GG
  • I agree with GG. I meant it might give you a little time if you had flames flaring up at the wires and you notice right away, but I don't do it and I make sure I stay low. Bottom line, it is for low temps.

The only negative for me, it waking me up at 4 expecting to finish at 7. :pinch:
  • That was a joke btw, I reread what I posted and thought you might think that it had a bug or something. Butt just finished early on my first overnight.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,678
    for the money its the only unit that has all the features you need for an overnighter. its cheaply made, the setup logic is terrible, and the range on mine is greatly reduced thru glass. i would buy another if it died though, wish they upgraded the unit as i would buy one for twice the money if they just did it right
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Austin Egger
    Anybody know of the differences between ET-73 and ET-7???
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,678
    73 has a pit temp with high and low temp alarms, the 7 does not. the 7 also has preprogrammed meat doneness which is a useless feature because it doesnt have settings that take into consideration temp carryover once food is removed from the grill.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Austin Egger
    Thanks! That must be why I have never heard of anybody owning the 7. I only questioned this as I was about to buy the 73 online and found the 7. Even on Mavericks website I could not find the 7 or the differences but I want to make sure that I make the right decision. Thanks again!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

ET-7 - Don't get

ET-73 - Get

When I first got my egg I ordered the ET-7 because I found a better 'deal' on it. I had the distance problem some folks talk about and one of the food probes ended up having the '---'. I am guessing the probe failure was my using it at a higher temperature. For some reason it went through batteries pretty quick.

After getting the ET-7 I had wished I had listened to the recommendations from the forum members.

It took about 10 days and I ordered the ET-73. 3.5 years later I look back and think it was a great accessory to own. Amazing long battery life, my ET-73 has a great RX/TX distance capability.

I am guessing the ET-7 was a specific unit problem. Even if the ET-7 worked fine it still wasn't the unit to get - no alarms and no pit probe.

GG