Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mom's Day Kudos for Nature Boy!

Options
bdavidson
bdavidson Posts: 411
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If you haven't yet tried Nature Boy's Ginger Mahogany Ribs, do. You don't know what you're missing! My mother made a special request of ribs for tonight's meal and so I decided to give it a shot. I picked up three slabs of baby backs from Sam's club on Saturday and had them marinating in the frig until about 3:00 this afternoon. I threw them on the 300 degree egg at about 3:45 and we consumed them at 6:45. Everyone at the table (my wife included) said that these were the best ribs they'd ever eaten. My stepfather remarked over and over again at how delicious those ribs were! My kids' response, perhaps a truer indicator, was amazing...I've never seen them eat so much meat in one sitting! My only regret was that I didn't buy another 3 slabs! My daughter ate as many as I did!
Thank you, NB. You posted a winner with this one! Webmaster has been notified!

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    bdavidson,
    Than YOU for giving it a shot. I am truly a happy guy this monday mornin' after reading your report. Glad to do my part to help you have a successful Mothers Day dinner! (even though you would have knocked their socks off with anything you would have cooked)[p]Thanks again for the fine report....it makes it all worthwhile.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • bdavidson
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I agree. There's very little that can compete with those appreciative comments. After hearing, "Brad, those were outstanding!" and, "Without question, the best ribs I've ever had," a few times, I was higher than a kite...always good to pass on the accolades to those who share the recipes with the rest of us! They were truly delicious. I already know the menu for Fathers Day!

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    bdavidson,
    I made the ginger ribs on Friday night. After 4 hours they were perfect. Lots of good red smoke color and wonderful taste. I think they were even better than the first time I made them. Thanks, Chris
    JimW

• bdavidson
    Options
    JimW,
    What temp did you run for the 4 hour cook? Where you using baby backs? Direct or indirect? Wonder why there was an hour difference in cook time?
    Another question for the forum is this: How do you know when ribs are done? I just followed the recipe to the letter and pulled them off after 3 hours, but I really had no idea whether they were finished or not!

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    bdavidson,
    I did them indirect over a drip pan filled with water. I also used the St Louis cut which seems to be a bit meatier. The ribs are done when the meat pulls back from the end of the ribs. Note that this can be a little or a lot. Unless the ribs are starting to really get crisp and are drying out, the actual length of time is highly subjective and depends on the actual ribs to a certain extent...a little time more or less doesn't seem to make a lot of difference on the Egg. Mostly I know about how long I've cooked ribs before using a particular method to get a good ball park figure in my mind before I start. Hope this helps.
    JimW

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    bdavidson,[p]I agree with JimW. Ribs are a subjective cook. I cook according to time/temp. Close to the end I then start testing for doneness by giving a bone a twist. They are done when you feel that it will break free from the meat if twisted hard. This works for me.[p]Spin

• bdavidson
    Options
    JimW,
    Thanks. That's how I did this batch. They seemed to like the drip pan with water. I will likely make this standard practice for ribs.
    bd