Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Steel Keg

GregM
GregM Posts: 18
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So after two years of putting it off, I was all set to buy a large BGE. Then as I started searching for dealers I see comparisons with the Big Steel Keg. Clearly it is a knockoff, but in the few side-by-sides it seems to be holding its own or better.

I have read all of the posts on this site, but don't see anyone posting that they have already tried both. Is there anyone out there with some experience on either the BSK or the earlier version (the Bubba Keg)?

I probably will still go BGE, it seems like there is a lot more support given the active board and broader set of dealers. It is also just more established. But I have this nagging feeling I need to put to rest.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Greg

PS anyone have a dealer in the Ann Arbor, Michigan area they would recommend?

Comments

• DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    The bubba keg is an amazing cooker and you should get one right away. I have never seen such a wonderful grill in all my life. I have bought one and it is clearly the best around. I got mine at home depot and you could probably get one there as well. Good luck.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    Wess made point in case - :whistle:
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    I say ..buy it..and register on their forum for advice..or ask on their forum for buying guidance...makes no sense at all why you would ask for advice on another product for buying advice on the BGE forum...must just be me..
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    You state that "I have read all of the posts on this site". That is an amazing feat! I've tried and couldn't even keep up with all of the posts from this holiday weekend.

I have no info on any of the Kegs.
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    I was told about the Bubba Keg before I got my egg, I also found the Primo grills which were like the egg, but because of the reputation of the egg, the time the egg has been around and my friends who have the egg sealed my decision w/ the egg.

You do what you feel is right, based on the article presented, the bubba keg is also a good grill so go with what you want.... :P
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Try "classic view"
  • Slingblade
    Slingblade Posts: 28
    "Holding its own or better" ? What exactly is it doing better?
  • GregM
    Here is the link to the best comparison I found:

http://www.grillandbarrel.com/the-grill/2009/7/14/throwdown-bubba-keg-vs-big-green-egg.html

The guy does pork steaks in one comparison and ribs in the other. He gives details on each, but sums it up as the keg winning on the pork steaks and the egg on the ribs. He states he is a BGE fan and his site seems consistent with that.

I was just looking to see if others have had any experience along these lines.

Regards,

Greg
  • GregM
    Hi Mike,

I meant I had read every post that referenced the BSK or the Bubba Keg. Sorry if it was unclear. My point was that I was not trying to repeat a question that was already answered, just looking for more information.

Thanks,

Greg
  • GregM
    Hi Wess,

I was trying to find someone who has cooked on both. Since I know people here have a BGE, that is half the battle in finding someone with experience on both.

They talk a lot about the egg on their forum (mostly how it cost so much more), but no one there seems to have one with the exception of the guy who did the very complete side by side. His write up was useful, but it was only one view. I have found a few other comparisons, but it seems like they may be done by people who are selling the BSK. Again, that is not likely to be a problem for any input I can generate on this site.

I did post on their site to ask them some specifics.

Sorry if this post was annoying to you in some way. I am just trying to make sure I have good information before pulling the trigger.

Thanks,

Greg
  • redneck6497
    redneck6497 Posts: 180
    I don't have an egg, nor have I cooked on one .... but, I want one (trying to convince my wife)

Someone mentioned the keg to me over the weekend. From what I have read online about them it seems that folks have had issues regulating the temp. Now, since I don't have an egg perhaps its the same way.
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    You will not regret getting an egg. Why go with an imitator when you can get a lifetime warranted original for a few bucks more?
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Clearly knock-offs are the way to go.

Why would you not want to buy from an outfit that specializes in drink mugs shaped like footballs, beer keg shaped lunch boxes and keg shaped picnic baskets? They obviously have the technology to design cookers.

It is clear you'd be crazy not to rush to your local Home Depot and ask their knowledgeable sales staff to fill you in on all the intricacies of The Keg.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    Anyone ever walk into a store, and ask for a comparison between products that are sold by them, and their competitor, and the salesman belittles you for asking? I wonder where you would go to purchase your product after that.

Greg, hopefully someone that has experience on both will chime in. The BSK looks like a great product, I am not sure how it compares to Eggs, but I love my Eggs. I get a predictable cook every time, and I am clearly cooking too much on them since I try to use them every day it seems. Good luck with your decision, if you do get the BSK, try to find a discontinued Bubba Keg. I hear they can be had for less than $300. That is just a steal.
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    You should also be wary of a company who seems to have issues selling them. When the Bubba keg first came out it was 699.00. Now you can get them for 399 which should tell you right away that they were/are not selling. They have even changed the name of the product. So if they have changed the price and changed the name, how long before the line is dropped completely. Good luck in your choice.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Reverend BSB
    Reverend BSB Posts: 157
    I have looked at the keg. Only advantage to me seems to be the trailer hitch carrier. That was the only reason I considered getting one, to have something large and more portable than my eggs. In the end I decided it was not worth it, I could just get a medium egg, have a little less space but a better product.

Just look at it this way, 10 year warranty vs. lifetime warranty. When that Bubba Keg or Big Steel Keg is rusting out in someones backyard my eggs will still be cooking like new.
  • BananaChipz
    BananaChipz Posts: 207
    Greg,

Just ignore posts like this. There are always ones who post negatively.

I've looked at the Keg, and it's a pretty good value for what you get (accessories, tailgate hitch, etc etc). I can't tell you how it cooks, but from the forum posts on the keg forums, it seems that people are quite happy.

My biggest worry would be longevity. The BGE lifetime warranty is a huge plus, and the fact that ceramic doesn't rust :)
  • BananaChipz
    It is just you....

I think there are potential people here who have been through the same thought process around both products. Maybe he's looking for info as to what swayed them over to the BGE ultimately..
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    I believe that the newer BSK's are selling for $600 or so. Didn't they lower the price on the original one to get rid of it, but continue the higher price on it's replacement? I saw one of the new ones at Home Depot recently and it's got the higher price.
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    One thing I would want to nail down is that on both of the store demo BSK's I've seen, the gasket has had holes in it where the rivets on the edge of the lid come down on the gasket. How's that gasket going to hold up under normal usage, if it is wearing through already on display in the store? Can you replace the gasket? FWIW....
    The Naked Whiz
  • went to a que competition over the weekend and one guy was cooking on the egg and bubba i asked which he liked better and he told me the egg held temps much better but the bubba was cooler to the touch so it was safe for his family

with a 10% lowes coupon you can get a bubba for around 275 IF you can find one big thread on it on SD
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    I have waited through all these replies and read with interest. For me, since the beginning of the thread, the key is in the name: big STEEL keg. Steel cannot retain heat or moisture or last like ceramic. If it was named big CERAMIC keg I would look twice. Steel? not so much.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Bananachipz, everytime the topic of the Keg comes up, you post on here defending it. Why not just sell your egg and go buy a couple of those tin cans and be done with it?
  • Bacchus
    Funny how(as someone mentioned) the biggest argument against the Egg on the Keg forum is that it is so much more expensive. At $600 for a Keg, and $650 for a Fest Demo Egg, they are rounghly the same price. Why go with an imitation? And the trailer hitch thing was done on Eggs 5 years ago.
  • BananaChipz
    I'm not defending the Keg... I just don't see things in black and white like you and many folks do.

I also don't get offended when someone says something contrary to an inanimate object that i've purchased to justify my own self worth - as I have more going on in my life to worry about that..

Love my egg.. wouldn't give it up.
  • BananaChipz wrote:
    I also don't get offended when someone says something contrary to an inanimate object that i've purchased to justify my own self worth - as I have more going on in my life to worry about that..
    quote]

My god man. You're being reasonable and not an egg zombie? What are you thinking??? I needed a vacuum and people on this forum tried to convince me to buy another egg to clean my house. Same with a fridge. It's all egg or bust around here.... :lol:

PS Although it appears that you have a respectable amount of self confidence (another rarity) and this is likely unnecessary - you are right by the way... ;)
  • BananaChipz
    hmmm...

I hear that argument often about moisture retention. However if the BSK sealed well enough throughout the cook, would it not "retain" moisture as well?

I do get that it probably is "better" in the BGE as the porous ceramic will absorb some of the moisture, and humidify the cooking environment more evenly.

The review link posted in this thread did state that he was impressed with the moisture retention of the BSK. Personally I think a true conclusion would require more thorough testing.
  • Bacchus
    I see you are in good company....LOL
  • The moisture retention myth of the egg over other closed cookers is rediculous. Unless of course the egg is some magical device that can violate the laws of physics.

PS I love my egg too but that doesn't mean I think everything else is crap. :)