Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

All kinds of ?

Options
Papaegger17
Papaegger17 Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got what I think is a lg bge from my father-in-law. It looks like one but it isn't glossy, it has a flat finish to it. The cast iron top is also not the same. It only has one slid not the two like I have seen on the net. He didn't know what it was and said he got it as a gift but didn't know when he got it. It been sitting in his pole barn for years. I told him what it was and he gave it to me( yes very lucky!). It was in a plain cardboard box. The only reason why I knew what it was was because a friends dad had one. I pulled the boxapart and all the parts were there but the gasket was kind of mess up. I put it togeather and took it up north to the cabin to see if I could smoke a pork butt. Turned out better then I hoped for consitering had no plan. All we did was throw it in the back of the truck, stop at a wallmart and got butt and some famous Daves rub. So after lookin at the web started the lump with some paper from the bottom and had no truble at all. Walked away for alittle bit and it got up to 650. Shut all the vents down and lifted the lid all the way open to get rid of some of the heatand the temp droped down real nice. Could not beleve how easy it was to keep the temp between 225-275. Had it on for about 7 hours. Took it of and put a metal bowl over it for an hour. Turned out real nice. But my ? is after the bge cooled down I looked in and my fire box crack into like three or for big chunks. The ring also broke. What did I do wrong? What should I do before I get a new one? Should I even get a new one. I can still use it now but I don't know for how long. Thanks

Comments

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    Can you post a couple pics?

If it is not glossy, it may be a clay model instead of ceramic. If it is clay, the recommendation I have seen is to keep it below 350-400.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Like Frank said it sounds like you hava an older Kamado style clay cooker. I would measure all the dimesions of your broken pieces and check with a local BGE dealer to see if the new ones will fit. If it truely is an older style clay cooker you might want to keep you temp below 400 F or the outsides may look like the insides.

Here is a link to more information that could help you determine which style you actually have.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/kamadotheword/kamadotheword.htm
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    I have heard of people using jb weld on plate setters. I am not sure if it will work on a fire box. If it is not usable you don't have anything to lose.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    You do have one of the older clay cookers. Those are much more prone to thermal cracking than the BGEs sold the last several years, and the owner’s manual for them warned not to take them above 375*.
    The clay BGEs were a little bigger around than the new Eggs. You can put a new firebox and ring in the one you have, but they are going to be a little small. If it was mine, I’d keep using it as is, as long as the pieces will keep their positions. When I finally retired my old Egg, the firebox was in eleven pieces.
  • Papaegger17
    Options
    Thanx for the info.