Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two butts, different sizes cook and storage

Options
Mark from Utah
Mark from Utah Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,
I am using my bbq guru for the second time. I used last week for a 5 lb butt and it tuned out perfect. [p]I have two questions for you experts. [p]1. I am cooking two pork butts this weekend. I am using a large egg, guru, plate setter and drip pan. One is about 3.75 lbs and the other is about 7lbs. I am thinking that I should put the bbq guru meat probe in the 7 pounder and the dome sensor on the meat probe. Then I was going to put a remote meat temp sensor in the samll one and take the small butt out when it is 190 degrees. Does this sound reasonable? In the future should I try to cook two about the same weight, or will I still have to monitor both butts or brisket temps anyway?[p]2. My wife's work will pay us $40 for each 5 lb butt or brisket she wants to bring to work with her. So from now on I will just do an extra butt or brisket when I make one for me each weekend. My question is, how should I store the meat for her work? I have a Foodsaver. Should I pull it first or leave it whole before I seal it? What is the best way for my wife to heat it up at work? Should I freeze it immediately after sealing it? How long can I safely keep it in the refrigerator before I use it?[p]I would like to thank everyone in advance for all of your help. I have learned so much from reading all the posts since I bought my egg a few months ago. Thanks, Mark from Utah

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Mark from Utah,
    Lets break this up just a little bit as you have multiple questions.
    The butt sizes. If I were you, I would try to choose my butts (Stumpbaby will rock on this one) carefully to equal the sizes. It stands to reason when you adjust time and temperatures to equate with the lbs of the individual butts that one is going to cook much faster than the other if the sizes are half as big..and so on.
    If you do put unequal meats in, then the cook is fine but monitor each independently with multiple sensors.[p]Freezing in Foodsavers bags is fine. What you might try is to quick partially freeze each one unsealed, then vacuum seal to keep the juices from flowing into your machine.
    Also a paper towel folded at the neck opening will absorb juice, but I prefer my juices to remain in the meats.[p]Been cooking on these things for dang near 75 years..er..atleast a few years..Hmmmmmm.
    Gotta go strum on me banjo...
    Good luck...
    C~W[p]

• Mark from Utah,
    I've had great success by pulling the pork and then sealing in serving size I expect to need. Usually 1.5 lbs. per bag but have done larger amounts. Then right into the freezer. To re-heat I throw the frozen bag, right out of the freezer, into boiling water and in about 10 min. its thawed and heated all in one step. Just fluff it up a bit and serve. I've held pulled pork for over 2 years in this manner and it comes out perfect every time. I don't recommend using the microwave to re-heat. The boil-in-bag method works much better.
    Cheers~

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    Mark from Utah,
    If you do the meat over the weekend, and you are taking it into work on Monday AM, it would be fine just refrigerated. It's well done/smoked/cured...I just had some PP that was in the refrigerator for a week, and it was fine. It's not like just off the grill, but I nibbled on a few chunks and I'm still alive today. I wasn't serving it to anyone...it was just there in the refrigerator, and I had neglected a small bag of leftovers. Hey, I had to try it. I froze it and will use it as a base for juice. [p]As far as the different sized meats, If you monitor the internal temps separately, you can't go wrong...it just complicates things a little bit. I have done this several times, and the total cooking times are relatively close, even for different sized butts/shoulders.[p]Mike in MN

• Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    Options
    Mark from Utah,[p]<<< 1. I am cooking two pork butts this weekend. I am using a large egg, guru, plate setter and drip pan. One is about 3.75 lbs and the other is about 7lbs. I am thinking that I should put the bbq guru meat probe in the 7 pounder and the dome sensor on the meat probe. Then I was going to put a remote meat temp sensor in the samll one and take the small butt out when it is 190 degrees. Does this sound reasonable? In the future should I try to cook two about the same weight, or will I still have to monitor both butts or brisket temps anyway? >>>>[p]As has already been said - the two butts will cook differently. I would place probe in the smaller butt and pull when finished then put probe in the larger one and wait several more hours for it to finish. If you put the probe in the larger one first you won't know when the smaller one is done. The smaller one will finish much before the larger one. Pull them out when temp. reaches 200 degrees. Much better than 190.[p]<<<< 2. My wife's work will pay us $40 for each 5 lb butt or brisket she wants to bring to work with her. So from now on I will just do an extra butt or brisket when I make one for me each weekend. My question is, how should I store the meat for her work? I have a Foodsaver. Should I pull it first or leave it whole before I seal it? What is the best way for my wife to heat it up at work? Should I freeze it immediately after sealing it? How long can I safely keep it in the refrigerator before I use it? >>>>>[p]Pull the meat first then use the foodsaver. I package in several size bags - from single sandwich size to whole (pulled) butts. Best way to reheat is the boil in bag method but microwave in the bag will work in a pinch. Pork should last about a week in the refrigerator although I start to get leary of it towards the end of a week.[p]Mr Beer [p]