Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easy pizza sauce and dough?

Options
just-a-eggin
just-a-eggin Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking for simple recipes for first pizza cook. All help and hints appreciated.

Comments

• Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    Rather than trying to figure out dough and sauce recipes at the same time I was figuring out how to cook pizza I started with Ragu pizza sauce (the only one I found with no sugar) and frozen balls of pizza dough. Only after I had those pizzas under control did I start making my own dough and sauce.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I'm sure there are people who get the hang of dough making, and turn out great breads with no problem. I'm not one of them. While I'm getting better, if I want to be sure of having a good pie I buy the dough from someone accomplished. I found a deli that makes pretty good balls, and I understand some pizzerias will sell balls. There's a commercial brand I've used called Tiseo's that was O.K.

The first few times working the dough gave me amoeba shaped pies. Tasted good, just sort of hard to cut into even size pieces.

I've had better results from simpler toppings. Just some olive oil, some fresh mozz, some parmesan, basil, rosemary, bit of salt, a few strips of prosciutto.
  • kmellecker
    kmellecker Posts: 332
    Options
    That's good advice from Jersey Doug. I buy ready made dough from our local supermarket and make a simple spaghetti sauce. That's the easy part. The work is learning the techniques of getting the pizza on and off the egg in an appetizing fashion. I still have trouble using the peeler and end up with half the pizza hanging into the fire on more occasions than I care to admit. Fortunately, even the bad ones are better than anything bought out.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    For sauce, I buy a can of diced tomatoes. If my herb garden is in season (which it is), I'll add basil and oregano from it. I also add fennel seeds, a little sugar, and garlic. If not in season, I use Italian seasoning. I put it in a blender and puree it. Then, cook it down to the right consistency. Very easy.

I also make my own dough, but I'm sure store bought is OK too.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Hungry Celeste
    Options
    Sauce: the simplest sauces are the best. Puree a can of plum tomatoes, simmer with 1 tsp "italian seasoning" dry herbs for about 10-15 minutes. Or, use your favorite light jarred marinara (I'm partial to Newman's Own marinara). Sometimes, I use Cento's "passatta", a de-seeded San Marzano tomato puree straight out of the bottle.

Dough: find a recipe containing a bit of olive oil, which will produce an easier-to-handle dough. Plan to stretch your dough on top of parchment paper, eliminating any transfer-to-the-Egg problems. Here's a link to the "Pizza Primer" over at The Fresh Loaf, an excellent baking forum: http://www.thefreshloaf.com/recipes/pizza
    The page contains Peter Reinhart's neo-neopolitan dough recipe, which is as good a starting place as any for the dough novice.
  • just-a-eggin
    Options
    Thanks guys think I am going to take your advice and start with some premade dough still might try a homeade sauce. ;)
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Sounds like we could have a pizza throwdown in the works for Eggtoberfest.
  • Bluedot
    Bluedot Posts: 82
    Options
    I like using Boboli products for my pizzas.
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    I like either the Dei Fratelli (sweeter) straight from the can, or mixed with Don Pepino (more tart) 50-50.

100_0923.jpg
  • Minneapolis Smoke
    Options
    I make my own sauce and dough. The Muir Glenn organic and fire roasted tomatoes in a can are a great base if good fresh tomatoes aren't available. I just drain them, add the herbs, and crush them lightly with my hands into a rough, chunky sauce. I tend to use them like this without further cooking. If you cook it down on the stove top, it will be more sweet and less fresh "tomatoey" tasting. I prefer mine more "raw" and the time on the grill just sweetens enough without loosing the tomato flavor.
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    Thaks for the tip. Sounds good (and easy) enough to try