Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Advice

Options
Yazoo
Yazoo Posts: 145
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Like RRP, this is my first long butt cook. Tried to stabilize egg at 225 grill temp, but dome temp got up to 300+. It's at 300 and coming down. Guru grill probe attached to meat probe sitting at 215-225. Should I just wait it out until dome temp comes down. I think that's a pretty easy "yes", but I'm looking for any advice...hic!

Comments

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    yazoo,
    If you can, I'd wait for the temp to come down. Putting it on at a higher initial temp will start your cook too fast. But, it could take a while for it to come down almost 100*

• Mea Culpa
    Options
    Go with the Guru temp.

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    yazoo,[p]IMHO if you want the temps of the guru and the dome to read to same pu the pit probe on the stem of the dome thermometer. I have found this is the easiest way to feel secure that everything is working right. I know that BBQ Bob and Shotgun Fred says attach it to the meat probe, but my way makes me feel better. I guess I like the redundancy...for what is is worth.... usually more trouble...than worth. Let us know how your butts come out.[p]Steve-B