Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So I forgot to clean out the air holes

Options
kip stabone
kip stabone Posts: 51
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Forgot to clean out the air holes on my egg prior to lighting the lump this weekend. When the egg wouldn't go about 400 I realized my problem. I tried clearing them out after the fact but it was just too hot. Anybody have any suggestions if I do this again in the future? Thanks.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Look at this - Thirdeye's Wiggle Rod

Other forum members offer wiggle rods also, so look around or make one yourself.

GG
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
  • Reverend BSB
    Reverend BSB Posts: 157
    Options
    I made a wiggle rod out of a $4 steak hook. Just bent the hook strait in a vise and its perfect.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I always stir the leftover lump before adding new lump, making sure all/most of the ash falls down through the holes before lighting the egg. I learned this the hardway and now do it each and every time and haven't had a problem since. I vacuum out the bottom with a shopvac every few cooks or so or after doing a 12 hour cook(for the large).

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • sharhamm
    sharhamm Posts: 258
    Options
    Does anyone have a good way to determine where the holes are, on the side, when they are covered with lump?
    Is there someway to mark them?
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I did the same with the BGE steak flipper I got in a goodie bag at the 05 Eggtoberfest. -RP
  • Mazzdog
    Mazzdog Posts: 44
    Options
    If having clogged holes stops you from getting higher temperatures, will it also affect the egg from holding a temp of around 250-275* for smoking a butt or brisket? I had trouble holding a temp after about 6 or 7 hours this weekend. I would get it up there but it would just drop down to 200 again shortly after. I'm still trying to figure that whole part out.. I've been an egg head for less than a week..
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I have never tried to use a wiggle stick to poke the holes in my fire box when my fire box was full of burning lump. What I did was wiggle up from the bottom so the holes in the fire grate were cleared out as well as the ash build up on the buring lump. Also, on long cooks I poke down from the top then up from the bottom. That would help if I had a vertiocal burn and I needed to stir the lump a little. Tim :)
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    Before EVERY cook, I rake the coals, make sure the holes are clear, then add more lump. I then clean out the ash from below the firebox...just do it every time and you shouldn't have to worry about it. ;)
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • Eggscriber
    Eggscriber Posts: 276
    Options
    I frequently check during cooking by looking through tha ash clean-out door to see if all of the holes are "lit up". Often, a few will get blocked during cooking. I do have one of third eye's wiggle sticks thanks to Woodbutcher. A bent coat hanger can suffice. Also, when I load my lump, I put the larger and irregular chunks on the bottom being careful not to obstruct any holes.