Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pizza Method

BunkyRubBunkyRub Posts: 52
edited 6:03PM in EggHead Forum
Had best success yet last weekend with pizza on the egg. The difference was useing the .94 cent grill topper screen that Wal-Mart sells. I believe it know in the trade as expanded aluminum. Made semalina dough in breadmaker, rolled fairly thin. Did three versions: white pizza w/ caramelized onions and goat cheese, barbequed chicken w/ barbeque sauce and Italian three cheese blend and finally blue cheese with caramelized onions. Put pizza on lightly oiled screen and cooked at about 450 degrees (lid closed) for 4-5 minutes. Crust was perfect and did not stick to screen at all. I felt these came out better than useing the pizza stone.

Comments

• Steve-BSteve-B Posts: 339
    BunkyRub,[p]I use these screens also, but I still have the pizza stone under it. Do I understand you right, that you just put the pizza directly over the coals...?[p]Steve-B
  • BunkyRubBunkyRub Posts: 52
    Steve-B,
    Yes, no stone was used. Pizza and screen was placed on grid directly above coals. Bottom of pizza did not burn either. Keep in mind it cooked in about 4-5 min. and temp was around 450 degrees.