Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Delivered to you

Options
shubydoobydo
shubydoobydo Posts: 115
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been reading the Whiz website a lot the last couple days. Some of the charcoal I have not seen in the store and was wondering if there was a store that could ship it to me. Would you want Lump Charcoal shipped to you? How much would you pay per 20lb bag??

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    give a look at Wicked Good.

http://www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com/

They ship pallets all over the world. A lot of forum members split a load.
  • shubydoobydo
    Options
    How many bags come in a Pallet?? HOw much does a Pallet cost?
  • B & C
    B & C Posts: 217
    Options
    Usually around 60 bags at 20 lb per bag. That comes to about 1200 lbs of charcoal. The last that we bought worked out to a cost $15.37 per bag for "Wicked Good" that is a total of about $925.00 for the pallet including the freight.

Someone has to order it, pay for it, receive it, divide it up between others (if you don't want it all), have the others come by to pick up their portion of the pallet, and then collect the money from the others to pay for their share.

It is a lot of work, many freight cos. require a loading dock to deliver or you have to come to the freight terminal and pick it up yourself. You then have to hump it home and unload it only to later dole it out to those that agreed to buy a share of the pallet.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    WGC is 60 22 pounds, not 20.. After 60 bags that is 120 pounds. They also have 11 pound bags too. That would be 120 bags to a pallet.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    It helps if you live 20 miles from their Distribution Center. :)

If not... this from WG...

"For the Weekend Warrior Blend LUMP Charcoal, pallet sizes may be ordered with a minimum of (30) 22 lb. bags/pallet to a maximum of (60) 22 lb. bags/pallet. For the 11 lb. bags a minimum of (60) 11 lb. bags/pallet to a maximum of (120) 11 lb. bags/pallet."

Send Lee Ann an email with questions. She's good folks. sales@wickedgoodcharcoal.com

http://www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com/index.htm

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Here is one that has been getting very good reviews, and the shipping is a bargain at $7.50 for the entire order.

http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Categories.bok?category=Additional+Kitchen+Products:Charcoal+-+100%+hardwood+&+No+Chemicals
  • FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    Options
    Fidel wrote:
    Here is one that has been getting very good reviews, and the shipping is a bargain at $7.50 for the entire order.

http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Categories.bok?category=Additional+Kitchen+Products:Charcoal+-+100%+hardwood+&+No+Chemicals

I will do a little searching on the boards - here is what I found from the Wiz -

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag91.htm
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Yea, but that cost if if you only order one bag. If you are mail ordering lump and the cost if $7.50 flat, it makes a bit more sense to order several bags.

The cost of the lump alone is $1.19 per pound. Not exactly a bargain, but not terrible compared to other stuff.

Like I said, quite a few forum members swear by the stuff. Personally, I've never used any.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I just have to wonder how many times those bags will be thrown, dropped, stacked and abused by the time they reach the destination. Years ago when lump was a rarity locally in the winter months I special ordered some bags via a large hardware chain. I swear the warehouse gorillas must have played bean bag toss with them as the bags had much-o dust and tiny pieces. If I knew then what I know now I would have refused to accept them based on the condition of the bags. LOL - now I'm a snob and a less than perfect bag gets passed over!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    Yes, ordering a pallet of lump does require some logistics. I have done this twice for local Oklahoma eggers (well, there were a couple or three Texans in the mix but we tried to overlook this) who wanted to get Wicked Good charcoal and thought it was well worth the trouble. What you might not be aware of, at least in my case, is one gets to meet a really great bunch of people who share a passion for egging. I have received offers to cook with some of them at an eggfest, and to hang out in what has to be about the coolest college-level tailgating bus around.
  • shubydoobydo
    Options
    A pallet seems like a LOT! It would be nice to get a bag or two delivered every couple weeks to the house. Then I do not have to worry about it!
  • Sundazes
    Sundazes Posts: 307
    Options
    I order WG quite a bit. Three 22# bags for around $60. It is cheaper than BGE locally. BGE is 22 to 25 plus tax for a 20# bag.
    BTW that price is shipped to the Baltimore area. I am no fan of cowboy and hate doing business with Walmart. One good use of cowboy is high temp cleaning.
  • B & C
    B & C Posts: 217
    Options
    Perhaps you need to sign up for the charcoal of the month club. ;)
  • shubydoobydo
    Options
    Sign me up for that... a meat of the month, and a beer of the month and I can die a happy man! ;) Thanks all for the replys.
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    It might be worth checking your local grocery stores. The Wegmans near us sells their own brand of lump for $5.49 for a 10 pound bag - about half the cost per pound of the BGE lump from the local dealer. I've had good luck with it. The Naked Whiz says it's made by Royal Oak.
  • shubydoobydo
    Options
    What does everyone usually pay for a bag of Lump?? I know I should probably start a new topic but oh well!
  • FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    Options
    Between ~$.65/lb and $1.15/lb (most I've ever spent).

I like Publix Greenwise (~$.65/lb) and Mali's US (exactly $1/lb)