Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

adjustable rig questions

Options
texasAUtiger
texasAUtiger Posts: 154
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am looking at the adjustable rigs, primarily because I want to increase the overall sq inch cooking space on my large egg, but also because I want to be able to cook higher in the dome.

Some questions for those that have an AR...

(1) Would you go with the 2 tier or 3 tier? Can you get 3 levels of ribs going at one time as well as a drip pan and stone?

(2) Do you still use a platesetter for indirect or do you need something else (like a pizza stone)? If you do need a stone, will the standard (large) BGE stone work?

(3) I really like the slide out rack features. How do these work in practice?

(4) Do the levels in the rig swivel around the center vertical axis or are the stationary?

(5) Does the rig collapse vertically or is it of a fixed height? Is there any problem (on the 2 or 3 tier) with it hitting the built in thermometer?

Thanks for your input!

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    All of Tom's stuff is top notch. I would recommend the spider, basic rig, slider, rig extender and 13" or 16" drip pan (I use the 13") The BGE stone works fine on the spider and the extender will add a 3'rd level or just get you higher in the dome.

It wasn't necessary for this cook but I felt like playing, It's great if you want to cook raised direct.

100_4053.jpg
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I have one and LOVE it!

(1) Would you go with the 2 tier or 3 tier? Can you get 3 levels of ribs going at one time as well as a drip pan and stone?

I have the two tier and it works fine for me. have never really had need where I wished I had the third one. but we did pick up a new webber grate at a yard sale for .25 to have on had just for that if needed

(2) Do you still use a platesetter for indirect or do you need something else (like a pizza stone)? If you do need a stone, will the standard (large) BGE stone work?

I use the stone in mine. not sure if it is the large one or the med one though... have that set up on my FL egg and so not handy. here in Maine I use the med stone in this large

(3) I really like the slide out rack features. How do these work in practice?
    I am not so coordinated so did not go with that :blush:

(4) Do the levels in the rig swivel around the center vertical axis or are the stationary?
    not sure what you mean here??

(5) Does the rig collapse vertically or is it of a fixed height? Is there any problem (on the 2 or 3 tier) with it hitting the built in thermometer?
    fixed and not a problem at all.

if I was doing it all over I would have started with this and the pizza stone. you can do anything with this set up. also get the spider and his wok. you will not be sorry. first rate guy to do business with too :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Not sure what the 2/3 tier is, I guess I need to go look at the new improvements...

I have an early AR & Spider and love them both. For indirect cooking I use a drip pan on the spider or lowest setting on the AR. Here are some pictures of how I use tjv's toys. Great quality BTW.

sausage_summer.jpg

charsui1.jpg

ham4.jpg

chicken1plug3rdeyeplug.jpg

I also used the BGE extended rack on this cook
    chicken1.jpg

This is the spider only. The rest pan is being used because the DO has too small diameter bast to sit on top of the spider alone.

chili1.jpg

GG