Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pumpkin Pie on my Large BGE

NC-CDN
NC-CDN Posts: 703
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I think I finally got this to work. This is my first post with pics.

I'm making a turkey in the oven with stuffing and will make a gravy too. Love it. I've done them on the EGG before, but I prefer the oven for making the stuffing and gravy and this is how my family likes it. Still, I wanted to use the EGG for something so I figured I'd make a pie.

Both of my boys said pumpkin so that is what I went with. Used my bread machine to make the pie crust too. Haven't tried it before so we shall see how it is. Fingers crossed.

Anyways, here are the pics. It was done at 450 for 15 minutes, then 350 for about 45-50.

DSC07733.jpg

DSC07734.jpg

Gotta love the versatility of the EGG. It's a Large BGE for the record.

Comments

• EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    I bet it is going to taste as good as it looks.

Good job on the pie.

To FRUSTRATED IN CHICAGO: CAN YOU DO THIS ON YOUR GASSER ?

Enjoy your day !

Gary
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    Wow, that's a great looking pie, bet it will be tasty.
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    OK so now I want to bake on my BGE also, but I will wait until next weekend, that pie looks so good.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Now that is even better than the mental picture I had.

I love stuffing in the bird and doing that in the egg takes some special handling. I have to toss the outer 1 inch or so of stuffing away, maybe I could foil over the cavity opening where the stuffing is... something to try on the next cook.

Your pies look fantastic. Let us know how they taste.

GG
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    That looks delicious!

Is that directly on the plate setter? I do pies with the plate setter legs up and then on the grate so as not to over heat the bottom. Did the bottom turn out okay? If so, I may have to rethink my method.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • NC-CDN
    Well, we just finished eating the pie. It was very good. I didn't foil the crust so the edges of the crust were a little done. Okay to eat, but just the same as if you had done them in a conventional oven and didn't foil. A bit brown. No biggie. I was just lazy.

Once I put the pie on the plate setter (directly) I had this thought that the glass pie plate could break. Not sure if that would be possible, but with a hot plate setter I wasn't sure. It didn't though and the crust on the bottom turned out dynamite. Not at all burnt and not at all mushy. Just right honestly. I contemplated putting the grid on and invert the plate-setter, but I couldn't remember what I had done in the past. Sad my memory is that bad. LOL. So I just did it as was pictured. I think either way would be fine as long as it's indirect.

Even the crust from the bread machine was good. It fed 3 adults and 3 kids and all loved it. Even the 14 month old baby Princess.

I want to get into doing more breads on the EGG.

Thanks for the nice words. Cheers!
  • Frequently with Pumpkin pies, you precook the crust 10 minutes or so to help the bottom cook correctly.

I could see how putting it directly on the plate setter would make this step unnecessary. Good work.

I have developed the best pumpkin pie recipe on the planet. Let me know if you are interested.
  • NC-CDN
    Always interested in a good recipe. I did make a good one from scratch with a cooked pumpkin that was known as one of the best types on the planet. It tasted great! I think I have a bag or two of it in the freezer still, but that was from Halloween. LOL.

This one I made today (pictured) was from a can of Libbies and then just the recipe on the can. I did set the crust on the plate setter, then poured the filling in while it was on the grill. But it was not at all pre-baked.

Is there a way to PM the recipe? Not sure how that works or if it is possible on this forum. I haven't seen it yet. Thanks.
  • Sure thing Here it is. I call it pumpkin pie surprise because it contains no pumpkin at all. I've never made it on the egg before (I've never baked anything on my eggs actually). Although I do plan on trying brownies for shits and giggles tonight.

Here it is, it uses a pressure cooker but is totally worth the trouble. Let me know how it turns out.

Pumpkin pie surprise!

Why is it called pumpkin pie surprise? Because, surprise, this pumpkin pie has no pumpkin!

I've double the recipe and making it in a 12 inch spring form pan. This makes a huge pie. Since it's great, it always gets eaten! This is a good way to make such a huge pie since the filling is quite hot when you add it to the crust so it cooks fairly evenly. Also, it's really light since I just use 1 percent milk rather than cream that others use. Save the cream for whipping for the top!

The only pressure cooked thing in this is the buttercup squash. Seriously though. freshly pressure cooked squash makes the best pumpkin pie.

1 buttercup squash, with seeds and skin removed. Cut up and pressure cook for about 8-9 minutes.

4 cups cooked pumpkin (squash; you'll likely have lots left over to freeze)
    1 cup milk ( 1 or 2 percent)
    2 tbsp butter
    2 tsp fresh grated ginger (key!)
    3.5 tsp pumpkin spice (a cheat but it works well. DO NOT PUT MORE even though you will be tempted!)
    2 cap vanilla
    1/2 cup maple syrup
    1.5 cups brown sugar
    4 eggs

Mix it all up!
    You may need to let the pumpkin cool a bit before adding the eggs but if the milk is cold I would think it would be OK.

Make a crust according to the crisco directions and put in the springform pan. Cook the crust by itself at about 425 for 10 minutes. Add the goo you made above and put in over at 425 for 15 minutes and then turn down to 350 until it is done (when you put a knife in it and it comes out clean).