Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

convince me i havn't made the worst purchase ever

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So, I bought a BGE almost 2 years ago now and am still incredibly frustrated. While I grill every week, I've used the BGE maybe a dozen times because of it.

As I write this I'm again waiting, hopefully, that the charcoal will ignite again. I put it in an hour ago to make ribs, got everything nicely started, a little ash, temp up to 300 and opened it up to put in the chips and grill, platesetter etc. Temp dropped to 125 and hasn't moved since. So now I'm faced with having to take everything back out and see if I can get the coals going again.

This has been pretty much par for the course in my experiences with the BGE. With my gas grill, turn it on, wait 15 minutes, come back, adjust for indirect, grill. With the BGE, I don't understand how ANYONE get this thing going at a consistent, stable temperature in less than an hour.

I've also burnt WAY, WAY more on the BGE than I ever on a gas grill. The fact you can't grill indirectly without additional investment in plate setters or multi-level grates is riduculous. Having to juggle all these accessories without yet more accessories like additional wings to put everything on is frustrating. I'm just waiting for the time that the hot grill grate I had to take out to get something going again, or add more chips or something falls on my feel because I'm out of space and had to put in on it's side standing up against the BGE's legs.

So how did I burn my food last time? Well the embedded fats and oils in the platesetter caught fire, that's how.

Well, I'm off to see if the temp's moved up again, got to put some dry wood chips on since all the ones I originally put on are probably gone. If it's not going, time to move to the gas grill.

Anyone want to buy a BGE in Chicago?

Comments

• Slingblade
    Slingblade Posts: 28
    I have a friend there in the market for a Large.Is yours a large and how much would you take for it?
  • Nuff said
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning frustrated:

Sorry to hear the Egg isn't working out for you. We've had ours over 8 years (started with a medium, now have 2 Large, Small & Mini) and the Eggs are our main cooking instrument.

Couple of questions:

1. are you using only LUMP charcoal?
    2. are you putting enough charcoal in the Egg (it's hard to put too much).
    3. do you use a drip pan with the platesetter or cover with foil (would prevent grease on platesetter)?

Wish I lived closer to be able to help in person (or if necessary take the Egg off your hands)...good luck!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    frustratedinchicago,

How are you lighting the egg?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    You are the same schmuck from this past week, aren't you ?

For someone who has had an EGG for 2 years, you haven't learned much. If anything, the only time you go on this Forum is to ****. Why not ask questions. We are here to help and I have received my share of help in the past year.

From what you are telling me, you wanted to do ribs. Good choice. You said you let the EGG get up to 300, so far so good. Then you put in the chips, platesetter, and grill. Then the temp goes down to 125. Do yo wonder why ? The platesetter is COLD, as is the grill. So when you put in EGG, the Temp WILL go down and it would take time to get it back to 300.

The way to do it is this: 1) Light the LUMP CHARCOAL; 2) after the LUMP i lit, put in the chips, better yet chunks, then put in the PLATE SETTER and then the GRATE.
    Now let the EGG get up to the preferred Temp. That's it !

As to your other rant(s), you have no clue. If you can find a better way to cook indirect on the EGG, then do it and tell us.

Funny thing you say about the gas grill, because a lot of us who have or had gas grills, don't use them as much or anymore. Like it has been said, "they are good for storing EGGCESSORIES.

Why not man up and register.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Looks like to need to start back at step one and openmindedly seek some advice from the members of this Forum.

Step 1 - join/register on this Forum
    Step 2 - take all the inside out of your egg and clean out all the ash and little pieces of lump under and behind the firebox.
    Step 3 - Fresh lump to the top of the firebox.
    Step 4 - Let us know how you are lighting your lump, as there are multiple ways to get it going.
    Step 5 - open the lower vent all the way and take everything off the top vent.
    Step 6 - check it in about 10-15 minutes and adjust the lower vent if the temp is approaching your goal temp - do not let it overshoot. Also add the platesetter if you are going to use it - it might lower the temp briefly when added as it is cold and blocks some airflow. I do not put the DFMT until things are stable and do not use it at all if doing a hi temp cook.

That should get our started.

Check this out:
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=609593&catid=1

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=676154&catid=1

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=474658&catid=1
  • Kenny 13
    Kenny 13 Posts: 321
    There's definitely a learning curve involved when it comes to getting used to using the egg. If you've only used yours about a dozen times in 2 years you definitely haven't given yourself an adequate opportunity to learn it. I've only had mine a few months and have easily used it 35+ times, and that would be more if it weren't for times like this past weekend with bad rain in the area. I found that I really started feeling more comfortable with the egg around cook #15 or so, but still didn't have any cooks that I would say were bad before that.

As far as having to get more accessories to use the BGE for different set ups, it is what it is. That's something you should have known before making that purchase. I will say this on the subject though - there are other grills/smokers out there that don't even offer you the versatility the BGE offers. With or without purchasing extra accessories. My only problem I'm having now that I have my egg is trying to find homes for my 3 other grills that I'll never use again.
  • egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Could be:

the way you lit it
    lump or briquettes?
    ashes clear?
    fire box lined up?
    how much charcoal?
    did you stir it?
    is it wet?

Lots of people here to help. This is a pro egg community. Bagging on the egg will just make people think you are a troll and ignore you. Everyone here thinks the egg is the best thing since sliced bread. If you want help, ask. If you just want to ****, whine and complain you'll need to go somewhere else. Not a lot of complainers here.

Ed
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Sure seems to be a lot of anonymous people bitching about their situation lately.

As far as space goes the egg is no different than a gas or briquette grill. If you don't have a side table or 'wings' the situation is the same for any grill/smoker.

Having an egg that long and not being able to get it to temperature is on you not the egg.

If your egg was stable at 300° it wouldn't drop and hold at 125°. The egg either wasn't stable or there is some exaggeration somewhere...

You can have your egg light and stable in about one minute if you will use a weed burner to light.

Other than that, light the lump in 3 places when starting and make sure you have good air flow through the lower vent and up through the lump. If you find you are not getting to temperature use a wiggle rod to help air flow.

It normally takes me 10 to 20 minutes to get my large to 350° - 400° and stable. If the egg is stable putting in a large hunk of meat or plate setter the egg will come back to the stabilized temperature without you having to do anything.

GG
  • Kenny 13
    Kenny 13 Posts: 321
    Also, as far as the embedded fats & oils in the plate setter catching fire - it's common practice to wrap the plate setter with foil or set a drip pan on top of it to prevent that occurrance. I use a baking stone rather than a plate setter as an indirect piece, and in that capacity it never goes into the egg without being wrapped in foil.
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    GG,

He got it up to 300. Then he put in the Plate Setter, which is cold. By doing so would bring the Temp. down. No ?

Gary
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Why do people have issues lighting up lump charcoal and adjusting air vents. My 5 year old can do this. Why can't grown adults. Hell I just brought my BGE up to 450 with a platesetter in there and set a pumpkin pie on it. After 15 minutes I brought the temp down to 350. How hard was that you ask? Not hard at all.

As for the grill dropping to 125 and not coming back up? That is odd. Did you close all of your vents thinking that you are ready to do low and slow and killed your oxygen? Leave it open a bit until your EGG gets back to temp, then adjust accordingly. To do 250 the top vent only needs be open a bit and the lower vent anywhere from 1/2 inch to an inch. All depends really. I do hope you get this fixed as it can't be a fun life having to grill with gas. You have the best grill out there and it's used 12 times in 2 years. I feel bad for the Egg. Poor thing. Sell it to someone who will love it. I know any number of neighbours who are quite envious of my Green beast.

Anyways. Off to check my pie. Mmmm pie.
  • Grandpas Grub

Yup, sure would but I doubt it would drop 175°. Also, the hot air would escape out of the dome and there would be a thermometer drop but it would fairly quickly come back up somewhat. Then there would be the wait for the plate setter to come to temperature. His low and holding temperature just 'sounds' too low if the egg was stable - IMO.

GG
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    A couple of months back someone with "getting up to temp" problems finally fessed up after some serious grilling [no pun intended] by pros on this panel that he A. Had not watched the Video, and B. Did not even have the firegrate in place :ohmy: No circulation? I wonder ;)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Grandpas Grub

Now that sounds good... pumpkin pie. Hope you take some pictures and post the results.

GG
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    register and become a member of the community. post questions. search for stuff (which can be difficult). but, ask questions. lots of them. there is not a single thing you can think of that doesn't have some photo pictorial floating around here about. even grill grate and flywheel adjustments for certain temps....

seriously, i've only had my egg six months more than you, but i consider myself a fairly decent egger and when i got started, i knew little to nothing about grilling and slow cooking..

it's all here for you, but you have to seek it out.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Grandpas Grub wrote:

Now that sounds good... pumpkin pie. Hope you take some pictures and post the results.

GG

I should. Haven't posted any pics on here as of yet. It should be done actually any minute my ipod timer is going to go off. I'll bring the camera.

Have a turkey in the oven with stuffing. Smells soooo good.

Good point about the grate. No grate on the bottom would be all bad. The drop is expected as you let the hot air out, but it should rebound quickly.
  • Grandpas Grub

There is one thing I didn't think much about. If he put/dumped chips over a single spot light, the fire may well have been quenched way back even down to 125°. I have learned when using small chips to put a few close into the burn then the bigger pile a little to the side.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub

Hope you have done a turkey in the egg... Now that is one great cook. After doing my first egg'd turkey I have never done on in the oven since.

turkey.jpg

09turkey1.jpg

09turkey2.jpg

GG
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    All according on where he had kept his platesetter. I've had wet platesetters that had sit out in the rain for a few days drop my temps that much. All I can tell him is if he's not using his egg but a few times a year it's also probably wet inside. If you let these things sit for months in the elements un covered and then try to fire them up, they don't act quiet right for a bit until they dry out. Moist platesetter + moist egg = one pissed off newbie with temp problems for the first hour.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Excellent Point! B)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    I think so also. Unless he really is not using it enough. This thing is so easy to light, and run at a constant temp i cant believe it,

The first week I was a little concerned I maight have some Buyers remorse. I have the XL and I have no regrets after 2 months. I have three slabs of Baby backs on it now, just laying on the grill over the plate setter with homemade drip pan from aluminum foil.

they are going to come out great. 3-1-1

If you want to see your Large at a cheap price, I will come to chicago area to Pick it up.

DSC_5375.jpg
    DSC_5374.jpg
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Does anyone notice that no matter how many questions you ask while trying to give this "gasser" some help that he/she never answers? :angry:

My suggestion: Go back to your beloved gasser. :angry:
  • Morro Bay Rich wrote:
    Does anyone notice that no matter how many questions you ask while trying to give this "gasser" some help that he/she never answers? :angry:

My suggestion: Go back to your beloved gasser. :angry:

Or.. maybe he has a job and doesn't watch the forum all day? Y'think?? :huh:
  • Slingblade
    Slingblade Posts: 28
    That's why I basically offered to buy the thing. If in two years he isnt enjoying it for whatever reason, it's probably not gooing to happen. Some guys are just meant to cook on gas grills.

So what's with this Dweeb-Tip?
  • Reverend BSB
    Reverend BSB Posts: 157
    If the OP really has had an egg for two years and has not figured it out, or maybe watched the dvd that comes with it then I fear for his family and neighbors. One day someone that stupid is going to burn down his house with that gas grill.

Or more likely just another troll.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I've watched it all day and this is the first I've posted. Any response to the original poster still shows as a non-registered flyby here (probably a troll), but he/she/it has since registered "frustratedinchicago" in such a way that his/her/its profile doesn't show but goes directly to an email. My mind says TILT TILT TILT so I have not sent anything as I wonder what virus one might get in return. You'll never guess who I think is behind this and it sure isn't Jeff or Rod! Need a clue? Think who has threatened to bring our house to its knees before...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Little Steven
    Ron,

Hahahaha. There was that mutt from Halifax :whistle:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    ? guess I missed that Halifax thing, Steve...but my point was the thread was started by a "guest" who since registered "frustratedinchicago" which now shows up as NO profile but a direct email going to somebody or something at j a y @ j a y r i t c h i e . c o m according to my computer.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Little Steven
    Ron,

Tweev lives in Halifax.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON