Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First attempt at baby backs

smoker62
smoker62 Posts: 80
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did 7 racks yesterday , tight squeeze on my Large . I setup the inverted plate setter and had a rib stand. Rubbed the ribs with Bad Byrons. Cooked at 250 for about 1:30 and then basted with honey and cider vinegar. Cooked another 1:30 and then sauced. They were good but not as tender as I hoped. I had too many to do the tent , juice cook . Did I over cook or under cook? Or will they not be fall off the bone unless you tent for moisture?

I need to find the pans for this.My foil pans were too big or too small. Also a tiered rack will need to be here soon. :whistle:

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    smoker62,

Baby backs take between 4 1/2 to 6 hours for me. I don't foil usually.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Austin Egger
    Austin Egger Posts: 256
    Probably under cooked. It takes me around 5.5 hours at 250. Got some on right now in fact. Gone back in forth with foiling and not. Still trying to decide if I can tell much of a difference.:laugh:
  • smoker62
    I will try another rack or two with a longer cook. How do you get the smoke to last? I soaked some apple chips and added them right before the ribs went on. They seemed to smoke for a short period and were done smoking in short time. The rest of the cook there was no smoke? I read someones recipe to let the chunk stuff smoke for 30 min before you add the ribs. I only have chips right now.
  • ewillie
    ewillie Posts: 155
    I did three racks in my large yesterday, started at 1:00pm served at 6:00, and they were very tender.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    i've got two racks on right now and i'm going 3-1-1 on them. i'm going to foil them with a little honey and cider vinegar. in the last 30 or so, i'm going to finish on slab with a little sweet baby ray's and the other i'm leaving dry. the last hour could be a bit longer if the ribs aren't ready.

three hours sounds a bit short, especially with seven racks of ribs on a large. i'd think you'd need at least six hours for something like that and with that many, i'd probably foil for sure.
  • smoker62
    Thanks guys , my first attempt. They looked done but obviously were not from the posts . Live and learn. They were very good tasting just not tender enough for me. My guests thought they were great but were probably just humoring me. :unsure:
    They were good but I have them in the slow cooker now reheating and adding some cook. I would put them back on the egg but it is raining sheets right now.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    you have to get you an umbrella...

;o)

a9e8b909.jpg

you're ribs are going to be just what you expect next time. i swear.
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    I just did 3 racks. 5 hrs plus and they fell off the bone. I did foil with sauce for 20 minutes just to heat the sauce up. The best bb's I've done so far.
    Mark