Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wispy blue flame

Options
reksilaT
reksilaT Posts: 18
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Gentlemen and Ladies,

Still getting used to my Med BGE. I’ve got the low & slo down pat, and have been experimenting with direct, high heat.

I notice that when I open the vents to achieve a dome temp of anything over 400*, a wispy blue flame hovers over the coals and sometimes reaches quite high into the egg. This is with the lid closed, and me looking down through the DFMT. Is this flame normal?

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Yes, BUT keep your nose out of the top or you may have some serious burns. They have been known to blow like a volcano.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    But, Richard... how are you supposed to keep an eye on your PIZZA?! :lol:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Richard Fl
    Options
    I read his question to be direct, the plate setter and pizza stone will protect you hehe.r
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Well, they have so far. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    One time my egg was not coming to temp after liting and the daisy wheel was off and the bottom draft was wide open. Well all of a sudden I got the hair on my legs singed while wearing shorts. I have seen it shoot out the bottom and then the top. I try to be safe and stay clear. I also keep others away until it is safe like kids and company. Think about it. If you had just lowered the temp on your egg after searing some steaks and company opens the dome when you are not close by to tell them to burp or don't open it some one could get burned or the dome could get slammed shut and cracked...
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Richard, how timely is this?! I am in the middle of getting my egg to 375° as we speak. I was standing there watching the paint dry - temp at about 360° - when all of a sudden, this "whispy blue flame" shot out of the top (no DFMT) and the temp went to 425° - in an instant! Fire in the hole!!

No, I was NOT looking down into the top - I know better - but thought it was a timely reminder here. If you want to KEEP your eyebrows, you need to also keep your distance. :)

Btw, the temp dropped back down to 360° in about 15 seconds.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I had lunch with Richard a few weeks ago, I don't remember him having any eyebrows! :ohmy:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    If you remember all of the story, I have no hair either. LOL
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Neither do I pal, neither do I :laugh:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • SmokeOrFire
    SmokeOrFire Posts: 49
    Options
    This is one of the best features of the egg. Its a party trick for us scifi geeks. The whispy blue flame out the top looks like an upside down ion drive (rocket).

I got my best rocket while doing pizza at night. The plate setter seemed to amplify it. It was at least 4 feet out the top if not 6. This occurred at the instant the heavy smoke went away and the temp shot up. The smoke goes away and the temp shoots up during the day too. I presume the flame is there and you just cant see it (like a methanol fire). Thus, if you are looking down the chimney at the instant the smoke suddenly goes away, then you just stuck your face in a rocket engine.

Now..how to teach the dog to keep his nose out of the draft door...
  • ndy_1
    ndy_1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm having trouble getting my egg up to searing temps >750. 600 is about all i can get, what am i doing wrong?
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    ndy_1, Welcome to the forum. I suggest you start a new post because this post is pretty much dead.

If you want to start a new post and ask you question you will get more replies that way. Tim :)