Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pulled Pork

SRGAU93
SRGAU93 Posts: 71
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here's some pics of my first overnight pulled pork cook. I cooked a 8.6 pound butt. I followed the Naked Whiz guidelines. Put in on about 8 PM the evening before. I was amazed at how much lump was left over (I loaded it 1/2 way up the fire ring). I maintain the dome temp between 210 - 240 (went to bed at 11 PM with dome at 230, woke up at 6 AM and it was at about 200. I had prepared for it to take 2 hrs/pound to cook (17 hours), but it only took about 12 hours, in fact, the internal meat temp started at 44 at 8 PM, and was already at 139 at 11 PM. I pulled at internal temp of 200 wrapped in foil, towel & in the cooler, and it was still warm when I pulled it apart 5 hours later for lunch. Incredibly moist & delicious! Hope I remember how to post pics.
* Couple questions:
Why did this butt cook faster than the planned 2 hrs/pound?
If I want to cook multiple butts, do I add the total weight to determine approximate cook time or base it on the largest butt?
IMG_1304.jpg
IMG_1305.jpg
IMG_9806.jpg

Comments

• DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    That looks really good! Thanks for sharing
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Brokersmoker
    Brokersmoker Posts: 646
    Each butt has a mind of it's own. You can usually count on 1.5 - 2 hrs per pound. If cooking multiple butts base on weight of the heaviest one, but I've been told to ensure that they are not pushed together and touching or that it could act as one large butt. Yours looks great :cheer: mine is currently at 157* internal. Got a few hours to go.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Have you checked your thermometers in boiling water to see they are accurate? Also, butts can finish earlier then expected although I have had little variation in my experience.
  • Cruzr
    Cruzr Posts: 91
    2 Newbie questions for you, if you don't mind...

What size is your Egg? I just picked up a used med, and am not familiar enough with pics of various eggs/cooks to pick it right out.

Where can you get a single butt? Love to try this out myself. All I've ever seen here locally is large 2 packs in costco/sams. Singles are probably out there, just looking for a suggestion.

Thanks for sharing, pics look great!

Cruzr
    Grand Blanc, MI
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    SRGAU93, Great looking butt. You did fine. Tim ;)
  • Smokin' T
    Smokin' T Posts: 259
    Try your local grocery store or Walmart.

Tom
    Fl.
  • SRGAU93
    SRGAU93 Posts: 71
    What size is your Egg?
    Large

Where can you get a single butt?
    I actually saw the shoulder/butt combo pack at Sam's, but didn't want it either. So I went next door to Walmart Supercenter & found the single butt. I would have gotten a bigger one (10lbs), but estimating 2 hrs/pound it would have taken too long for a lunch meal yesterday. As it turns out, it was done way sooner than expected...go figure! One of the easiest cooks ever. Just as the Whiz recommended, I never opened the dome until it was done.
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Great Looking Butt. All of the butts that i cook go for less than 1 hr per lb cooking at 240/250 dome with a bbq guru until 195. We dont pull we slice.
  • Mazzdog
    Mazzdog Posts: 44
    I got mine at the local BJ's wholesale here in Raleigh, NC. It was a single 8lb pork butt... was about $8 or $9.. Local Grocery stores should have it also... especially if you are in the South as it's pretty much a staple year round here.
  • EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    looks great,

ya´ll cook that quite often in the future, for sure :)