Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood type for table Help

Options
Waterscapes
Waterscapes Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
I have been using my nest for about a year now and I am ready to upgrade and build a table. I have looked at many designs and pictures on the forum. I am going to have doors and one drawer to hide my egg accessories. I have my egg on a deck made out of pressure treated wood. Should I build my table out of pressure treated or is there a better wood that is reasonable priced?

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Pressure treated will certainly work but it is not the best choice for something you want to have a "finished" look. It depends on where you are located and what is available in your area. Cypress is the best if you can get it, but it is only available in the Southeast. Western Red Cedar is another excellent material for tables and is usually available nationwide. Lots of folks use oak, but that is heavy and hard to work.
    I would check with local lumber yards [not big box stores]to see what local builders/craftsmen use to make outdoor furniture, etc.

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    Options
    I would steer away from PT. Even though lately it has become more "eco-friendly", there are still chemicals in it. Most, if not all of it is SYP, Southern Yellow Pine, which on it's own is good and durable and likely less expensive than PT.
  • BuffaloBrewer
    Options
    If you can't find cypress locally, this place will ship it to you. Their prices are usually pretty competative. (just a customer of their's, don't own, etc.)

niagaralumber.com
  • Pharmer
    Pharmer Posts: 37
    Options
    Ditto on the Western Red Cedar. Availability and weather-resistance are the main attributes but it also comes pre-cut for decking (5/4" X 5" X 6'), which is perfect for table tops and shelves (i.e., no milling fees - I found they added $$ to the cost of oak).
  • huskertom
    huskertom Posts: 1
    Options
    I second the use of the Red Cedar Deck boards. I actually used PT for the substructure. Kept the costs down. Then just sanded the *%$@ out of the deck boards and put 3 coats of poly on it. Looks pretty good for less than $100 worth of mats.