Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rotisserie Chicken done on the egg!! Better than the beer can method

Jeff
Jeff Posts: 75
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
my_photos
<p />Hey everyone...Take a look at the link below...there are three pictures there. I rigged a rotisserie to the egg......It works great...I can hardly waite to try some ribs or a roast..naybe a turkey! Any suggestions from anyone as to what else to try???[p]thanks
Jeff

[ul][li]http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jeffbanky/album?.dir=/13dd&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos[/ul]

Comments

• Jeff ,
    Very cool - couple of questions.
    Was it hard to control the temp with the lid open like that?
    Did it damage the gasket?
    Does the thing just sit and spin or was it mounted to something?

• Jeff
    the lid was closed...just cracked a bit...i cloed the dampers to control the heat.....np[p]i mounted a mounting bracket on one side(motor side)...no damage to the gasket...the other side sets on the gasket and spins but is held in place by a couple of nails i put in the metel band around the egg.....very easy!
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Jeff ,
    This looks the same one you posted about last week. Is this a different chicken or is this just a bump?[p]Also, is it better than a spatchcocked chicken?

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    Jeff , can it take the heat, trexing a lamb roast on a rotisserie would be great

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jeff ,
    what do you think made it better than a beer=can or spatchcock chicken?. ..i had always understood that the way the heat flows around the egg made it un-neccessary to rotate food as it already was being cooked evenly?. . .when i do beer butt chickens inderect over plate setter, the heat is very even on the bird. . .[p]what did you do to the bird, besides the rotisserie, i.e. marinade, brine, rub, etc. . .[p]thx[p]max

• mad max beyond eggdome,[p]That's a very good point. The convection properties in the upper part of the dome create an even cooking environment when used with a heat barrier. It is not so even without a barrier.
    It would be interesting to see some side by sides of chickens done with the rotisserie and ones done with out.
    I think the rotisserized chickens would have a crispier skin since they are cooked direct.[p]

• Tater,
    you make a good point about crispy skin. . .between the indirect nature of a beer butt bird and all the steaming created by the beer, it can be tricky to achieve crispyness. . .but it can be done. . .typically by simply letting temps rise the last 15 minutes or so of the cook. .

• Jeff
    you could do this indirect also...nothing is stopping you from doing it either way!