Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime rib - how long?

Options
skihorn
skihorn Posts: 600
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My local Kroger had Prime Rib (not technically "prime") on sale for $4.79/lb which is about 60% off their regular price. So, I bought one on the spur of the moment after church. This is my third prime rib to cook, and for the life of me, I can't remember how long the others took. A quick check of the recipe section shows some pretty wide variations in estimated cooking times.

It is a 5 pounder boneless. I don't sear. It will be cooked at 300 degrees dome. How long to get it to 120-125 internal?

Freddie
League City, TX

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    personally I'm a big fan of the reverse sear like Thirdeye suggests though of late I have also taken to hot tubbing my prime ribs that only weigh 2 to 3 pounds.
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • evenwhenitsraining
    Options
    Do you have a temperature probe--the kind that is left in the meat for the duration of the cooking?
  • evenwhenitsraining
    Options
    Do you have a temperature probe--the kind that is left in the meat for the duration of the cooking?
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Not sure if the bones add much time per pound.
    Here is one I did awhile back.

Beef, Prime Rib, Richard Fl

DSCN0110.jpg

INGREDIENTS:
    1 4 1/4 Lbs 2 Bone Prime Rib
    Seasoning:
    3 Tbs Kona Koffee Rub
    2 Tbs Chopped Garlic in Olive Oil
    1 Tbs Indian River Rainbow Pepper Blend
    1 Tbs Garlic Powder
    6-8 Tbs Kosher Salt
    2 Tbs Water
    Little Porcini Mushroom EVOO

PROCEDURE:
    1 Cut the bones away from the roast and sprinkled some garlic powder between the meat and bones. Wrap with some twine to keep together. This allows for easier cutting of the roast after the cook.
    2 Make a slurry of the seasonings and rub all over the roast like a thick paste.
    3 Get BGE set up indirect and have at 450°F. I used a drip pan to catch the juices. Handful coffeewood for smoke flavor.
    4 Placed the roast on grill with temperature at 450°F. Let cook for 30 minutes to allow the crust to form. Leaving the roast on reduce the temperature to 350°F and cook apprx 17 minutes per pound. Did this one for 1 hour 45 minutes. Pulled at 120°F and let rest in a tent for 45 minutes.
    5 Served with baked potatoes and some mixed veggies. Was going to do Garlic toast, but forgot to turn the oven on until after the meal was over. Wonder if the pomegranate martinis had anything to do with that? Had 3 Oz lobster tails to go with this.

DSCN0116.jpg

6 Used a cream cheese mayo, horseradish sauce for the beef.
    7 Slurry and cooking instructions were provided by Ross in Ventura. Thanks Ross.

Servings: 4

Recipe Type
    Beef, Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2010/03/31
  • skihorn
    Options
    Evenwhenitsraining: Yes, I have two remote probes (I always like a second opinion) and then use my thermopen for the final confirmation.

Freddie
  • skihorn
    Options
    RRP: Thanks for the link. I thought I had that site saved as a favorite but apparently not. It is now.

Freddie
  • Waterscapes
    Waterscapes Posts: 97
    Options
    The lobster tails look good. I need to try them.
  • skihorn
    Options
    Richard: Looks great! Lobster is not really a part of the culture down here. I have never really had good lobster. I had it once on a cruise but the lobsters were from Honduras and I am told that the warm water lobsters are a whole different animal from what you would get in the northeast.

Freddie