Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Sauce suggestion-Vinegar based

Ala-Egg
Ala-Egg Posts: 162
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello forum,
Need a suggestion for a good easy to find vinegar based bbq sauce. One that is national like KC Masterpiece is for the sweet based ones.
Thanks for the help,
Mark

Comments

• eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Mark, I really like vinegar based sauces as well. I particularly like Williamson Bros. Bar-B-Q Sauce. They are based in Marietta, GA and will ship. However, I believe someone on the forum said they sell the sauce at either Costco or Sam's Club (I don't remember which). Their phone number is (770) 971-3201.
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    I've always just made my own.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    You could run over to the Piggly Wiggly in New Hope and get some Blue's Hog Tennessee Red. I think you will like it.

I am not sure of a commercial Vinegar sauce that is in a grocery that I like.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Tried KC Masterpiece once. Never again. Uggh!

Why don't you just make it yourself? You could have it done in less time than it takes to get to the grocery store.

Vinegar Sauce - traditional Eastern NC Style

1 ½ cups white vinegar
    1 ½ cups apple cider vinegar
    1 ½ tbls sugar
    1 ½ tbls red pepper flakes
    1 ½ tbls bottled hot pepper sauce
    1 ½ tbls cayenne pepper (only if you like more heat)
    Salt and pepper to taste

This is a very thin sauce - about the consistency of, well, vinegar. :) Sooo good on pulled pork though!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Have you tried the Tennesse Red? It is vinegar based.

Mike
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    If you have a Harris Teeter near you they sell a Eastern North Carolina vinegar based sauce that is great. Also have Memphis and a mustard based one that is really good.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    I think Tennessee Red is in most of the stores in Alabama.

Mike
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    I think not. A few Piggly Wiggly's have BH, not all have Red or the rub. It is placed by a specialty rep in certain stores when asked.
  • With all due respect and it truly is a matter of taste, but imho true,eastern north carolina bbq sauce does not have sugar in it. It's thin, and is famous for that vinegar bite. If there is a Food Lion grocery store near you or if you know someone in either Carolina pick up a bottle of Scott's BBQ sauce. Probably the best store bought and easily the most legit. Otherwise, the recipes youve been given sound good, and Im using some Williamson brothers on some rib tips tomorrow.
  • Dyehard
    Dyehard Posts: 6
    Try Johnny Harris Original sauce, you will love it! WalMart here in Moulton, AL carries it. Good luck.
  • I've seen that around too. You say it pretty good?