Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can,t perfect porkchops

Illinifan
Illinifan Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Every time we do chops, they seem awful dry. We like half to three
quarters thick chops. We have tried them direct, indirect etc.
We put garlic salt , Country Bobs seasoning and a little pepper.
this is the way we like the taste for years. But with the Egg we
can,t seem to get away from the leathery taste. Hope all you
professionals can help us new Eggers!!!!

Comments

• Luder
    Luder Posts: 31
    Illinifan,[p]Check out TRex's website. He uses thicker chops than you are using, but based on what you have said, my guess is that you are probably cooking them too long.[p]Luder
    [ul][li]TRex[/ul]
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Illinifan,
    good lord!
    i didn't know they grew pigs so thin as to produce half-inch thick chops![p]the problem might be you are overcooking them.[p]I might suggest a thermometer until you get the hang of the egg, but the thinness of the cuts might make that hard. [p]try thicker cuts.[p]how are you cooking them, by the way? how long?

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Illinifan,
    How hot you cookin n how long?[p]I like to grill at 400 +.......but turn every 2 min, turn em twice n they are done, same thinkness as yours. I like 3/4 in chops.[p]I dont leave the BGE when I cook chops, I stand right there with a timer.[p]I usually cook direct, when grillin.
    Thats my way

• Illinifan,
    To what level of doneness are you cooking them? Today's pork is alot different than it used to be. In the case of chops there is almost no fat marbleing. As a result they should not be cooked past medium. There has not been a risk of trichinosis in the U.S. in years, so there is no longer a need to cook pork to a high temp. Pink pork is perfect. Enjoy!

• BbqEd,We are cooking them at 300 and about 5 minutes per side. You all have great ideas and it seems like we are
    cooking them to well done.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,672
    Illinifan, thick chops i do trex, thin i usually do in a pan. with thin chops i cook in a cast iron skillet over an 18000 btu burner on high for a quick sear 60-90 seconds per side, then immediately wrap in foil and place on a counter. they come out very juicy this way. if you want to do this in the egg, i would try 60 seconds per side at 750 degrees and wrap and set aside. experiment with the times, im sure it can be done

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    chopsonmini.JPG
    <p />Illinifan,[p]Here's how I do them - start thick, and cook to 145 internal. Thinner chops almost always dry out on you.[p]Good luck,[p]TRex
    [ul][li]Boneless Pork Chops[/ul]
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Illinifan, everyone below is basically correct. Stay with your chops..if a half inch thick your on for about 40 seconds per side, flipped twice over a hot grill fire.
    Try to alternate your grill marks for a perfect chop.
    Adjust time according to the thickness.
    Your making shoe leather out of super good eats...smile.
    Cheers..luck to you.
    C~W
    BTW...I would skip the seasonings except for salt and pepper untill you get it down pat...Cavenders Greek is excellent as well as a fresh ground Alessi. Alessi comes in a little grinder jar of its own.[p]

• Illinifan,
    Here's a trick I learned a few years ago grilling porkchops..grab a handful of green onions, spread them over the grill, and lay the chops on top of the onions. The onions not only add a new taste and smell dimension, but also make them very juicy.

• Illinifan,
    Brinning of chops is a good idea, but as other said try thicker chops. I like 1 1/2" spilt them across the end to the bone, making a pocket and stuff with a blue cheese stuffing mixture. I grill to a max of 140º internal.
    Jim

• porkchop.jpg
    <p />Illinifan,
    We had pork chops tonight! It's one of our favorites. I brine my pork chops in a Dr. Pepper and salt brine for 4 to 6 hours. I rub them with some Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom. I cook them 3 to 4 minutes a side at around 400 to 500 degrees direct. We cook ours to medium. I'm lucky to have a local farmer that I get my pork from. He uses pasture fed techniques and his pork is marbled and red. Here's a picture.
    Enjoy,
    Tony

• Illinifan,Thanks to you all. If we can't make a perfect chop
    from all these excellent ideas, we better bash the Egg.
    Thanks again!!!!

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Illinifan:[p]The success of lean pork - pork chops, cut or whole loin, etc. - is based on pulling at an internal temperature of 140º and letting rest for a few minutes. I know this is different from what we all learned twenty years ago, but pork is "cleaner" now and the magic number for killing the trichinosis bug is 137º. If you are going to cook the hell out of pork on the grill you might as well just cook it in the crock-pot . . .
  • Char-Woody
    ColaCooker, quit that. Thats the first really good picture of marbled pork I have seen. It might qualify for Chairmans Reserve Pork from IBP.
    C~W[p]

• cawcawbutt1.jpg
    <p />Char-Woody,
    If you like the pork chop then check out this butt from the same farmer. It makes some of the finest pulled pork I've ever tasted.
    Tony

• mike
    mike Posts: 152
    Jim Minion,
    This sounds delicious. Could you share your general stuffing mixture? Thanks!

• Char-Woody
    ColaCooker, Lo, "beauty is in the eye of".....thats a beauty.[p]