Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It Felt like Nawlins

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As busy as Saturday was, I was in need of a meal that I could feed a small group people but I would not be home to prepare. Since last Saturday was a very hot and humid day in Cleveland, my thoughts turned to Cajun food. Since it is not yet gumbo weather, I figured that I could put a pot of Red Beans and Rice on the BEG and go about my day. At noon, I started to quick soak the beans. While the beans were soaking, I started to cut up the red bell pepper, celery, green onions and yellow onions. I started sautéing the veggies and garlic in the cast Iron Dutch oven. Next I, added the sliced Andoulli Sausage. By this time the beans had finished soaking and so I added them to the pot along with some Pulled Pork Stock that I had in the freezer. I even added a Ham Hock that I had purchased that morning just because it looked good. Everything came to a boil, so I transferred the Dutch oven to my Medium BGE and placed it on an inverted plate setter with kiln post. I had put a chunk of pecan and red oak on the fire. The temperature got stabilized at 275 and I walked away and took the kids to see Spiderman II.[p]When I returned home some two hours later and opened the Egg, I was greeted with a beautiful aroma and beans that were just starting to fall apart. I walked inside and got the rice cooking and within 30 minutes, we were feasting on a Nawlins staple.[p]Enjoy,
RhumAndJerk

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    You didn't mention when the laundry got done, and I'm hoping this was done yesterday, Monday.[p]:)

• Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 147
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Sounds tooooooo gooooood. That kinda stuff will get ya fat, man. Don't you know better than to do that kinda stuff? Geez Louise... The only good that'l do ya is to force yourself and your family to eat way too much.. and enjoy the heck out of it too.[p]Went to N. O. last week (for business). Got into the Gumbo Shop on St Peter St (1/2 of a block from Jackson Square) and fell into some gooood eatin'. Man they cook Gumbo almost as good as mine is....[p]Put some tilapia (sp?) on this weekend with Paul Prudhommes' Salmon Seasoning.. Not too shabby.[p]Later[p]Cajun

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    It was hanging on the line near the BGE. Bedclothes that are line dried near a smoking Egg get you to sleep with a smile on your face.
    Funny, though, how I always seem to wake up hungry.
    R&J[p]

• RhumAndJerk,
    I read your comments. I'm not sure if I know what quick soaking of bean is?[p]I make some BBQ Beans, and do the soak, but usually let'm soak all night. Can you exsplain?[p]Thanks[p]GnB

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    GrillnBoots,
    My preferred method for dried beans is an over night soak. However, when short on time or bad planning, if you bring the beans to a boil for five minutes and then cover and let sit with no heat for one hour, you can then begin the cooking process. About the only dried bean that I do not like this method for is Garbanzo beans. They seem to be to dense.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• RhumAndJerk,[p]Ok. Thanks. I'm still a begginner cook, hadnt heard that term before. Thanks for the tip.[p]GnB
  • RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Cajun,
    I sure love that city.
    Have you been up this way in a while?
    R&J

• Joder
    Joder Posts: 57
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Sounds delicious. What temperature was the Egg at? The beans should simmer, not boil, correct?[p]I now make my Red Beans and Rice from an old recipe from about 1937 from the Times Picayune that was in my grandmother's recipe book. It does not call for soaking the beans. You just dump the dry beans in the water and after about 3 hrs. they start getting creamy. You mash some beans against the side as you stir it about every 20 minutes. [p]I have heard that if you soak the beans and toss out the soak water, you won't fart as bad. But I haven't noticed any unusually bad gas from grandma's method.