Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt Predicament

Options
Firestarter21
Firestarter21 Posts: 309
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So, I cooked a 6,8 and 9 lb pork butt starting around 11 last night. The 8 lb'er was at 196 at around 9 this morning, so I pulled it. The others are in the mid 180's. I really wanted to serve these fresh to guests at a 4oclock bbq. We will be going till about midnight.

Would you all suggest getting them in the fridge, and reheating this evening, or keeping them in the cooler with heating pads and a thermometer, keeping them above 150 or so until this evening?

If I cool them, I am pretty sure I would pull, then cool.

Thoughts?

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Barrett,, drop the dome to about 200 and you can buy a few extra hours. I've gone as long as 5 before foiling and into the cooler
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    If you take the butts off when they are 200, you can easily keep them above 160 for 5 hours well wrapped in foil and towels with bottles of hot water in a "cooler."
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    FlaPoolman wrote:
    Barrett,, drop the dome to about 200 and you can buy a few extra hours. I've gone as long as 5 before foiling and into the cooler

This is what I would do. Obviously then foil them and I've kept them in foil for 3 hours with perfect results. Hot as can be.

Enjoy the BBQ.