Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoking on bge

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
i recently purchased the egg,and so far i think it sucks.i do a lot of smoking,and i really think this is a piece of overpriced junk.i watched the video with the so-called chef,and he says to do the ribs,smoke them 3 hrs @250 ,then you read the instruction book and it says 350. if any one of you so-called eggheads consider 350 degrees smoking temp then you are as stupid as i was for purchasing this thing ,any true bbqer knows bbq smoking is 225-250 degrees.what are you doing at 350,think about it your baking foods at that temp and i could do that in my oven. i tried the egg on ribs and after 3-1/2 hrs they we'rnt fall of the bone done as claimed the temp was at 250 . now,i'm going to give it the real test i'm smoking a 8 lb brisket tonite for tomorrow,any suggestions for my very skeptical self,as i really dont want this to fail.what temp and i dont want to bake it either,i want to bbq or smoke it .so ,be real and give me a straight forward answer,what temp and for how long.i do pulled pork and brisket all the time on my other smoker,with no problems at all,they fall apart for me and tghats what i expect for $1100

Comments

• Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    Such a polite request clearly deserves a straight up answer.
    Cook using the same temps and methods you have been with your other smoker and you should see similar results. The difference will be less tending, less fuel used, and in most cases a moister finished product.
    As to time; if you’ve been cooking to a timer, you can not have been seeing the consistently good results you allude to. Always cook to temp.
  • Reverend BSB
    Reverend BSB Posts: 157
    Options
    Troll. Go back to your Bubba Keg and let us know when it rusts out in a few years.
  • Mazzdog
    Mazzdog Posts: 44
    Options
    Dude you gotta chill... I've had my egg for 2 weeks and I had another smoker for a year that i was well versed at (not at first since there was a learning curve). There is a learning curve with the egg also (I'm still trying to figure out how to keep temperature to stay at one temp), but I've done 1 pork butt (which took a lot longer on this than my old smoker) and it turned out fantastic for a beginner... I have a ways to go and have to learn but that's what this forum is for... So chill out, fire up the smoker and suck down a frosty beverage of your choice.. You aren't gonna be Bobby Flay day 1 (unless you are Bobby of course).. Relax, you're gonna give yourself an aneurism.