Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rustic Savory Galette

Options
The Naked Whiz
The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I played around a bit today with a rustic savory galette. This one had heirloom tomato, onion, garlic, fontina, basil, oregano, corn and goat cheese. It was baked in the large at 350 on a pizza stone on top of the plate setter. I'll work on the recipe/web page but for now....

rsg01.jpg
The Naked Whiz

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Nice! I'll be cooking that!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    That galette looks delicious, remember having one in Chartres think it was emmental & ham......
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Really looks great but forgive me but what exactly is it??! :laugh: Never heard of a Galette before.
  • Egghead-Sooner
    Options
    JLOCKHART29 wrote:
    Really looks great but forgive me but what exactly is it??! :laugh: Never heard of a Galette before.

Me either!
  • A galette is basically a pie that isn't in a pie plate. You just put the ingredients in a rolled out pie crust. Keep the filling a few inches inside the outer perimeter of the dough and then fold the dough over like in the picture. When you start all this, the dough needs to already be placed on the surface you will cook it on or a pizza peel because you can't move it with your hands once its constructed. I make peach and bluebery often in the summer. They are super fast and easy if you use a refrigerated store bought crust. I haven't made one on the egg but this savory version looks like a winner.
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    Whiz, what sort of pastry did you use? By hand or food processor dough? It's tomato tart season at my house, and I'm starting to play around with white-flour alternatives in my tart doughs. Whole wheat plus almond flour is pretty good, savory or sweet, and I think pecan meal will taste even better with savory stuff. A few tablespoons whole-germ cornmeal is another nice riff...adds a bit of texture.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Excellent photography there Wiz.

Wide open aperture and an extended shutter opening?
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    That is a great shot of some tasty food!!I will give this one a try.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    NW, your galette looks, well, savory! I would have liked to have had some for breakfast. I agree, the photo is beautiful!
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    This is more of an "afternoon with red wine" sort of galette. Ham and cheese would be good for breakfast!
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Yes. I think the shot I finally used was ISO 200, f/6.3, 2.0 seconds. I was using a Canon 5D with the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS L lens at 195mm.
    The Naked Whiz