Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Caught Salmon Sources

Options
Firestarter21
Firestarter21 Posts: 309
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hope everyone is doing well. I still lurk from time to time to try and keep up with folks, but I have been incredibly busy at work for quite a while.

I am pretty sure there used to be talk on here about wild caught salmon. Does anyone have any company they prefer to deal with(or not deal with) that we could support? I would love some good salmon, but am apprehensive about almost anything on the shelf.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    i am in pa ... so i do not know your stores.. i would try a whole foods type of store and look for copper river salmon [google it].
    good thing you have been busy at work., as it is quite $$$$$$$ .. so much so that given the choice of copper river or farmed i go for the farmed ,,
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    I buy mine at Whole Foods, they clearly label the farm raised and wild caught.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • boston_stoker
    boston_stoker Posts: 794
    Options
    A friend of mine loves this place. However, it is pricey.

http://www.great-alaska-seafood.com
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    This has been recommended before by AlaskanC

I would entertain splitting a box with you if you decide to order. I think their price includes overnight shipping.

http://www.alaskaseafood.com/
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    I have bought from them in the past also. Great service and good fish.
  • Salmonegg
    Salmonegg Posts: 79
    Options
    I'm lucky- the owner of a little shop in my town usedto work boats on Alaska and still has a buddy out there that ships him line-caught kings, direct. I think they've been out of the water just a day or two when they arrive here, flash frozen. Halibut, too.

I've been reading about these folks in the sustainable fisheries blogs:
    http://www.ilovebluesea.com/

No salmon, currently, but that Arctic Char looks pretty nice and should cook up about the same.

For folks on the east coast, here's another good choice http://www.portclydefreshcatch.com

I've not ordered from either, though (besides having a local guy I trust, my wife doesn't eat fish...)
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think a few people understood what I meant to say, but I don't think I was exactly clear. I am looking for any small business or family business that anyone has had any experience with, preferably in Alaska.

Fidel, I think that would be the way to go, at least for the first time ordering from someone. I will shoot you an email and we can get the details worked out.

Still open to others suggestions if there is anyone that absolutely loves a business they have dealt with.

Thanks for the advice from others who suggested looking for farm vs wild caught, but I have a friend in the organic meat industry and I have heard too many things about what other companies will do and still get away with all natural/organic. One of my friends pointed out, that they name the product wild salmon or something of the like, so you go to pick it up while reading the label, but that is just a name, not necessarily its resource.

And not to promote a business on the forum, not sure what the status is of that, but I do have a friend that raises cows and pigs on the up and up with all natural/free range methods, anyone can feel free to PM me and I will pass his info along.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Good to see you around Barrett. Missed you last Eggtober!
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    Hey Ron, those tix went fast!! I will probably be on my honeymoon during this years Octoberfest, that or saying my vows. :ohmy:
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Congratulations Barrett, you finally convinced her it was a good idea.... ;)
    It looks like Sparky will be in a delivery room that week also. 2 of the 3 original North Georgia Eggers missing the big event. :blink:
    Again, good to see you around my friend!