Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

fast brisket success...

texasAUtigertexasAUtiger Posts: 154
edited 1:48PM in EggHead Forum
having done 2 briskets the low and slow method, today I wanted to experiment with the faster technique trumpeted by LawnRanger, thirdeye, fishlessman, ClayQ, and others...

I rubbed the brisket yesterday morning and injected with Dr Pepper ($1 to LawnRanger). 250 dome indorect for about 3.5 hours (about 150 internal), then I double wrapped it in foil, cranked the dome to about 350 and put it back on for about 1.5 hrs til it hit 200 internal. At that point, I took it off the egg, wrapped in another layer of foil, then into the cooler with towels for about a 1.5 hr rest.

Voila---moist and juicy!

IMG_2967.jpg

The real difference was more of the fat stayed put (usually cooks off more), but that is easily trimmed when served. The result was super moist and juicy---much juicier flat than ever before for me.

I do think the foiling sacrifices some of the bark, so next time maybe I will go to 165 (a la thirdeye recommends) to get more of it on there before the foiling stage.
·

Comments

• Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Thanks for posting, that looks great.

Did you end up tasting the Dr. Pepper in the meat when done?

Did you do a whole brisket or just a flat?

Nice looking eats. Hopefully one day I will be able to post a brisket picture that looks that nice.

GG
    ·
  • texasAUtigertexasAUtiger Posts: 154
    GG,

I don't think we could taste the Dr Pepper per se, but I think the addition of the liquid (maybe 20 oz?) did make a difference in moistness.

That was a whole brisket from Sam's, about 8 lbs.

I encourage you to give this method a shot. The results sure beat the ol' 19 hr method (IMO)...
    ·
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Nice. Now those are point slices in your photo, right? I'm glad you noticed a difference in the moistness on the flat, that is one of the advantages of a higher temp cook.

On one hand, I've been toying with adding a crisp up step on my Fast Cook page, similar to the one I do on my barbecued prime rib. It would be concentrating on the fat side only, most likely a direct cook fat side down for 5 or 6 minutes. I have seen first hand the way people like a little brisket fat. It might also firm up the bark on the inside face.

On the other hand, if the meat is moist and well seasoned, I like to serve some slices from the flat and some of the fattier point (maybe as-is or as burnt ends), then it's not necessary to inprove the focus on the fat. We shouldn't be eating that much anyways.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
    ·
  • texasAUtigertexasAUtiger Posts: 154
    The thre slices on the right are point (and not cut perfectly on angle, I corrected that after my initial, overly excited slices) while the three on the left are flat. I don't know if the pics do the flat slices justice, but they were pretty juicy---but not limp---which was perfect for my tastes.

I would be interesting in trying a crisp up stage, so let me know if you come up with something. It is fun to tinker, even when there isn't anything "wrong"! ;)
    ·