Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Best Compact Cameras

Options
Bluecrab3
Bluecrab3 Posts: 328
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would love to get an SLR or the like, but with a 4 year old and 6 year old, we need something small that we can take anywhere. Have been using a Canon SD870 IS and have enjoyed it for the last couple of years. The LCD is on the brink, so I'm going to purchase a new one. Looking for a recommendation. Thanks.

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I am no camera expert when it comes to comparing brands, but I have been using an Olympus "Stylus 770SW" for two or three years. I bought this model because it is waterproof to a depth of 30ft, and shock resistant. I am on and in the water a lot, and i have found this little camera to be very rugged and dependable. All pics I have posted on here I have done with it, as well as some good snorlkeling and fishing pics. B) It was about $300.

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SX210IS-Stabilized-Gold/dp/B0035FZJMQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1275148713&sr=8-3

This is the one I want, just haven't picked it up yet. 14MP and shoots HD 720p video.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • McPhreak
    McPhreak Posts: 42
    Options
    If you want a relatively compact camera with slr-like functionality, consider the canon G11 (or are they on G12 already?).
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    The camera that Angela suggested has a feature on it that I consider a must have for anyone with young children. That camera is going to be with you all kinds of places where your children will be on-stage and it will be dark. A camera that has the new low light features like that one is a godsend in those circumstances.

Doug
  • Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 or ZS5

Small handheld, 16.5x optical zoom, Leica lens, HD movie mode, etc, etc.

Spacey
  • Unknown
    Options
    Canon S90 is a fantastic compact with fast (f2) lens and easy access to important functions as well as manual control. Emphasis is on pix rather than video. Price has dropped to mid 300's
  • asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    Options
    I have my DSLR, but I keep a backup PnS (Point and Shoot) when I travel. My PnS is kind of old, it's still a good camera, but it's (only) 7.1M. I like it because it uses the same batteries and memory media as the SLR, both are Canon. I also have an underwater housing for the PnS if I want to take it to the beach, boating, or even diving.

I have 3 other PnS cameras that we've bought along the way. The Olympus is the first digital that I bought in 2000, it still works, but the "smart media" cards are hard to come by. My wife wanted something compact to keep in her purse so we got an HP. The last one we got, another Olympus, has 12X zoom which isn't too common in PnS cameras.

I'd recommend going to the store and checking them out. You may like the software on one brand over another. If it is easy enough to use, then you may look for a particular feature. A friend got one of the Olympus ruggedized cameras, his son still found a way to break the screen. It still works, but we are unsure if the crack has compromised the waterproofness.

Check www.stevesdigicams.com for reviews.