Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table construction

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been putting off constructing a table for my Egg. Trying to get some ideas as to how I want to proceed. I see most tables have the Egg incorporated in the table. Since my Egg is already in it's nest, why not build a table and just put it next to the Egg. I am sure it is just preference. I am a carpenter from way back with a shop full of toys to build anything. Just can't make up my mind how I want to do it. lol We are planning to build a new house in the next year or so. I have already planned to build the Egg into the kitchen. [p]Jerry

Comments

• ChefDBA
    ChefDBA Posts: 20
    Options
    Jwirlwind,
    Man you better hire a top notch HVAC engineer for the ventilation system in your future house. I imagine the air movement to keep all the fumes out would be enough to suck the air out of people's lungs as they walk past. [p]

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    ChefDBA,
    Just watched a BBQ show last night on FoodTV and they showed a restaurant in Chicago called the Weber Grill. They were cooking everything on huge Weber style grills indoors, within view of the patrons. An amazing sight. They noted they had met a happy balance between sucking all the air out and leaving just enough behind to whet the customers appetites![p]You are correct though ...proper ventilation would be crucial. If it wasn't correct, it could kill you. Not an acceptable outcome for miscalculating venting requirements.[p]If I was building a new house, I'd consider the same thing.[p]Mike in MN

• ChefDBA
    ChefDBA Posts: 20
    Options
    Mike in MN,
    It could be done, but you'd have to be really hard core to have your house smelling like lump all the time. In the Webber restaurant they have one of the largest hoods in America pulling all that smoke out, and they toned it down so that the place would have the smell of charcoal, but not be overwhelming.[p]It's completely a personal matter, but I prefer my deck to smell like smoke rather than my house.

• Jwirlwind,
    I have a design for a down draft vent system that will take all the smoke out of the room. Not realy hard to do. The kitchen will be 30 feet by 20 feet. Jenair does it all the time.[p]Jerry

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Jwirlwind,
    I hear ya. That is what I was thinking for years. I had planned on making a contraption that would surround my large in the nest, so that I could roll it out if needed.
    I just completed my table a month ago, I'll post a pic this weekend.
    I bought a left handed egg mate and I roll the egg up to the left side of my table. My small is in the table on the right. Seems to be working great so far.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Wardster,[p]Hey!! I'm left handed. Are you saying that the greatest cooking system in the world comes left OR right handed? Tell me more!!